Post menopausal ovarian cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Looking for advice more than anything, my mum has recently been diagnosed with a 5cm complex ovarian cyst on her right ovary, it was found by accident through an MRI scan, she's had a CA125 test, her levels came back in the normal range at 24 which gave us some hope but she's since been for a scan and while she hasn't had the results, the radiographer advised that it looked suspicious - if it's a suspicious complex cyst, is there still the chance that this may not be cancer?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie my complex cystic mass is a bit bigger than ur moms n my ca125 was elevated but they said mine maybe a borderline ovarian malignancy. I was told they aren't goin to know anything until I hav surgery. From what I've seen most people's are not cancer so fingers crossed for all of us.

Try not to worry the doctors will advise u in what she will hav to do

Big hugs xxx

• Posted

Thanks Michelle, definitely staying positive, I think that's ultimately it, we're not going to know until the surgery and it seems like the majority seem to be benign so fingers crossed for you as well, hope the surgery all goes OK, big hugs to you too! xx
  • Posted

Sophie, most of the ovary cysts are not dangerous, so realx, but as the case is about your mother, u need to consult your doctor and i would suggest you to get laparoscopic surgery done, because, even if the cyst is not dangerous at all, there are higher chances of ovarian cancer in women after 40 years of age, so why take a risk?

Ca125 is not an exact ovarial cancer test, and it comes out to be normal in 50% of the cases of 1st stage of ovarian cancer, but even in the worst case your mother is not on more than 1st stage of cancer and in this condition it is totally totally cure able, in the worst case your mother's left ovary might get removed and thats all,,nothing more than that.

Relax and all the best.

May it be just a normal non cancerous ovarial cyst smile

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me Pari, very much appreciated, fingers crossed it's all OK, the more I read, the more it seems to be that the majority are OK so I'm hoping for the best, she's post menopause now so I think she's happy to have the ovary out, we find out when the surgery will be on Friday, so fingers crossed it's over soon! <3 xx>
  • Posted

Hello. I can really sympathise with your worry as I've just been diagnosed with exactly the same thing, same size and same ovary and through an MRI. My c125 was normal too. I've seem the consultant who sent me away and asked for more scans and bloods to be done a month later to check for changes. They all happen next week. I was in an absolute state when I was initially told. Especially when they mentioned the C word!! After speaking to people on here and after the appointment I'm a lot more reassured than I was. At first I assumed that complex cyst meant cancer but that was very wrong. Michelle is right. The majority of cases show no malignency but there is a criteria set by the government which states that complex cases must be referred even if it's likely to be benign which most are.

To be honest I won't stop worrying until I know more next week but even then, like Michelle said they cannot diagnose until the cyst has been removed.

Sending my love and best wishes.

I hope all goes well.

Vicky xx🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.