Dizzy when standing

Posted , 11 users are following.

Lately I keep getting dizzy when I stand from squatting position mostly, though sometimes from chair.

I bought a blood pressure cuff machine. Taken before lunch it's been what to me seems low.  I used to always be one of those 110/70 types, before PMR, and when I exercised.

lately lows like 80/66 HR 88, 85/63, 91/68, 101/71 with a surprising HR in the 80s.  This seems new to me.  I can assume this monitor not well calibrated maybe?  But the dizziness causing me to check.

Resarching on Internet, these numbers are considered low.

I don't think I'm dehydrated, though am craving salt and thirsty at times. 

Rheumy on Thursday, so I will ask as I hope to get her to take me off Plaquenil and Sulfasalazine. Been on them 6-7 months, Pred 6 mg.

I'm just wondering about PMR and blood flow throughout body.

Just wondered what y'all knew.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I checked those drugs on my professional drug data base and both can cause dizziness.

This really needs your doctor's evaluation.

• Posted

Thanks Karen,

Yeah, but I've been on them with no trouble (except acid reflux) for quite a while.  I'm still losing weight too. 

I just wondered about blood pressure readings.  Why blood is rushing to head last several weeks. I have been working outside more in landscape.

Just wondered in anyone else experiencing this at some time.

• Posted

Layne, those are very low BP readings and I'm nt surprised you are getting dizzy spells.  Definitely get checked out by your Dr.  Interestingly, I never add salt to anything due to a kidney problem and high BP, but a few months ago I found myself craving salt and bought a packet of crisps, something I never normally eat.  The next blood test showed reduced sodium levels!
    • Posted

Wow you had reduced sodium.  I also have primary Doctor next week so I may ask her to check other minerals, b12, ... Stuff not on the CBC.

I was looking up salt craving and found adrenal gland deficiency can cause. Doesn't our Pred mess up adrenal function? I felt so stupid, I didn't know those glands were near back bottom of ribs, my hubby didn't know either. Ha. 

• Posted

Layne, yes the adrenal glands sit on the top of the kidneys.  And long term Pred can suppress the natural steroid (cortisol) production of the glands, and interfere with hormones one of which conserves sodium in the body.  Wise to get everything checked out with your Dr, and I hope the results are good.

• Posted

I personally wouldn't try to diagnose this myself- I am a retired nurse-anesthetist- because you might do yourself some harm. 

I was taking curcumin, recommended by my pain doc, before we knew I had PMR. It was the worse thing I could have taken because, with PMR, one can get " the anemia of chronic disease" and curcumin chelates iron out of the body. My blood count dropped drastically during the one month I took it. 

Doctors suspected I had bleeding somewhere so I underwent colonoscopy and stomach endoscopy. No bleeding found but then I had to take iron.

• Posted

Hi, i am also a retired nurse anesthetist in N.C. you have just given me a big answer to the iron anemia i had in 2013. I was taking circumin but not that regularly and showed up with anemia. Checking it out the doctor found my iron levelwas low - 20- and it was supposed to be 40-150 . I am trying to remember the normal values but i remenber mine was lower than the lowest number. My doctor was also insistent that i had to be losing blood from somewhere. Colonoscopy was neg. My husband did not eat a lot of leafy greens due to his Coumadin dosing and we only ate beef probably once a week. We changed that as well as adding iron. You made a very ineresting comment. Another reason to write down alll the supplenents you take. Very eye opening piece of information. I am sure it was not the only cause but this is helpful. Pat

• Posted

How much Curcumin were y'all taking?  I now just add to my eggs, the pill supplement form bothered my stomach. I'm also adding ginger even to my eggs. 

i love beef, so I eat it 2–3 times a week. Salmon atleast two meals, and pork or chicken other. 

So glad you and Karen figured out when you were anemic. 

• Posted

Because Turmeric is known to be anti-inflammatory, I added the powdered form it to all suitable meals, such as risotto, casserole, shepherd's pie and soups, without any effect on my blood.  Taking it in pill form would afford a far greater intake and therefore could have the potential to cause problems but probably mainly in those who already have borderline iron levels.  Many herbs are known to be good at reducing inflammation, including ginger, garlic and cinnamon but Boswellia, Liquorice Root extract, Willow Bark, Cats Claw and St John's Wort should be avoided as they could have potential drug interactions with Pred.  The bottom line is that everyone should check with a pharmacist whether there is any known interaction between prescribed drugs and those bought over the counter, including all supplements, before taking.
  • Posted

In the US it is recommended your systolic reading (the first one) should be between 90 and 120 and the diastolic (the second one) should be between 60 and 80. Your systolic is a bit low off and on but your diastolic is fine, higher than mine ever is! My heart rate is normally 72 which I think is OK for women. Although I have had it in the high eighties if I have been doing something just before taking my blood presure and HR. I am addicted to taking my blood pressure and friends of mine are too, we sit round with a glass of wine and pass the BP machine round. It is amazing how you can vary your heart rate when having fun. 

Probably a good idea to talk to your doctor about your change in BP and the dizziness though. 

• Posted

OH dear Layne I hope with all my heart you will find out the route cause of your dizziness and will start the treatment.

I have some lack of balance since the onset of my GCA but I manage it well with massages, daily exercises - no dizziness though .

Wish you well 🍀❤️💛💙

• Posted

Hi everyone

Like some of you i use to take my BP daily (when 1st husband alive) but in the last 8 years i haven't. When operated on 3yrs back it was a little high for me 110 but yesterday i took it in our local drug store and it was 180 over 85 heart 70 which i usually was 64-68. I tested it again at my mom's who is 90 at it was higher. My only explanation is that the machine literally killed my arms in pain like pre prednisone. I think the pain caused my bp to go sky high thats why my heart rate was normal.

Has this happened to anyone.

Mariane

• Posted

I have had dizzy spells before too.  They would be sparatic.  And I also had increased heart rate (up to 112 once).  Dr. put me on heart monitor for 24 hrs, but he said my heart was fine.  He did give me a blood pressure med to regulate my heartbeat.  This was my GP.  I would do as you are doing; keep good records (including time of day) and take it to Dr. next time you go.
  • Posted

I have normally low blood preassure, so when I get up after sitting for long time, I sometimes get dizzy. From my experience ( and again this is individual) any time my blood preassure is below 105, I have to carefull about dizziness.  After few seconds it goes away.

Blood preassure can change for many reasons, emotions, weather, dehadration, lack of sleep, being tired, etc.  It does not ahve to be always some medical condition that causes it.  I hope that it is something temprrary for you too.  But if youare going to see doctor, certainly ask about it.. Something funny to make you smile... My wife has normal blood preassure at home, but  every time we go to a doctor, just being in the doctor's office nakes her blood preassure go to 160 !

• Posted

Thanks Nick, 

ha I too raise at the doctors office. Not because I'm nervous I don't think, but often it's the traffic, or sick people in the waiting room. wink 

You know, the coughers. My new doctor has masked to cover their mouth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.