Stopping Vanlafaxine cold turkey from 150mg - day 3

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to see if anyone has stopped Venlafaxine cold turkey from 150mg.

I was on 450mg for 2 years and Pit on 30kgs. As much as the medication helped me mentally it crushed me physically. I decided I wanted off. I cut back 1 table, so was down to 300mg for three weeks. I had bad flu like symptoms and wanted to sleep all week. It was bearable so I then cut back another tablet and was down to 150mg. Same thing, I could handle it so two weeks later I stopped cold turkey. I'm now on day 3 cold turkey and feel like I'm on my death bead. I have had the worst headache ever and feel like I'm on my death bed. I am tempted to take a tablet but couldn't bare to go through this again.

Any idea when I will start to feel better? I'm taking Advil, fish oil tablets 1500mg and am drinking lots of water.

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am not familiar with this drug but it is not a good idea to stop any drug cold turkey.

See your doctor

• Posted

I am on Venlafaxine at the highest dosage of 375mg but one should never stop taking a medication like that without the doctor giving guidance on how to get off it so like you say she should see her doctor , some tablets weaning off them can make one feeling strange before starting to feel normal like i expect you know x
  • Posted

dear addi,

oh my, i don't know how you've managed to do this on your own. i've cut back on certain medications in the past, and each time i've gotten very sick. after only two days.....and while under the supervision of my doctor.  things dont have to be this uncomfortable for you, dangerous even. i am not trying to scare you. but please contact your doctor.

hopefully you'll feel better, sooner than later. good luck to you, feel better. call your doctor. okay?   O.....( that O was a hug )

• Posted

Thank you Laura, my doctor wanted me to change my tablets to 75mgs, I missed a 150mg tablet due to finishing my script and not having filled another. I felt ok so I decided to try. It wasn't too bad so I continued. I felt normal again after 3 weeks and tried again. I guess due to not feeling overly sick, I thought I'd try. My doctor is aware, he isn't happy but is aware that I'm very stubborn. I've tried to I sleep a lot, so I don't feel the withdrawal so bad. I just don't want to have to start over again if I was to take a tablet.
    • Posted

addi, i understand what you are saying. i'm glad you can rest a lot, and sleep as much as you can. withdrawls feel so horrible. but you should start feeling better pretty soon. i hope so!
    • Posted

Same boat, do u have excessive saliva on ur mouth? Insomnia, nausea, feeling vomiting? 

Thx and good luck 

• Posted

Hi Laura, any idea how long it takes to come back to normal life? 

Best wishes 

• Posted

Effexor? Is someone helping you with this? Your dropping it in huge amounts. They have many counselors who can guide you to weaning off properly. It is doable. My friend weaned off of 75mg in 25mg amounts. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, my GP is aware. He did advise to start by dropping 75mg, I'm just so over the medication. I'm on day 4 now and am scared that if I give in n take the tablet, I'll have to go through what I've gone through! Over the last 3 days.
    • Posted

Have you been following the gps advice? Sounds like you have been dropping it by 150mg at a pop. I understand you want off but your body gets shocked each drop. So just be aware.withdrawls are rough, as you are well aware some can be dangerous if nit done steadily. How about you just go for a check up as soon as possible so you know how your body is handling it and then continue weaning off. I once weaned off very fast about twenty three years off a benzo. It worked but back then they didnt  do it slow and steady so it was very intense. Im here and doing well so it worked but i remeber the flu like stuff and muscle contractions it was strange but i had to get off them so i did. It was a month before i felt semi normal again. I dont miss them. For some it works so well but no one realizes you do not get to stay on them long term and doctors seriously need to explain that and use them as a last resort. I believe every school, every college and every library should have seminars and cbt classes and proper breathing. Its an epidemic already 26% of the population is marked with a mental illness..250 million are on anti depressant with new 50 million a year. It is frieghtening already.Thats awful and disgusting to throw pills at people with little to no explanation of the cause and effects involved. Anyway, you have done great so far but i would say to go and get up check up just for them to check your vitals and a quick ekg just to get a thumbs up as you continue on. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

You're absolutely right. I must admit! It was the worst week of my life. I felt as though I would never feel normal again.

I wouldn't recommend anyone coming off this drug to do what I did. My GP wanted me

To reduce my dosage by 75mg, due to my stubborness! I told him I was stopping cold turkey.

He phoned a few times and I would only answer if I felt up to talking, if I didn't answer! My mum would be around wishing the hour. On a positive, I am now 19 (I think) days free and feel great. One thing that helped me dramatically was when my mum came over she would force me out of bed make a cup of tea then go for a little walk. Also anti nausea tablets. Without them, I would not have been able to go to the bathroom.

• Posted

Just wanted to update everyone. I'm on day 5 today and feel a lot better. Slight brain zaps and I'm keeping up with the fish oil tablets as well as the sickness ones. Not 100%, but I managed to do a bit around the house today.

I'm not recommending anyone should do what I did. But wanted to keep you updated. 😊😚

• Posted

Hi Addi,

I did come off Venlafaxine cold turkey in December 2014 but I was only on 225mg and I had only been on them for a few months. I was taking them for suicidal depression and the side effects were tipping me over the edge. I would never recommend the "cold turkey" approach but I understand why people do it. We are usually desperate when we see our doctor and medication can be a last resort. When the meds make us feel even worse, it can really seem like our last hope has failed. The brain zaps were the worst withdrawal symptom for me but I did ride out the storm in about a week. I remember reading that it could take months to slowly wean off high doses of this drug (and I guess that's the best way to wean off any medication that has been in your system longterm). Good luck mate - I hope you are through the worst of the withdrawal. I do believe that there is a right medication to help all of us - it's just a case of finding the right drug and the right level. Take care :-)

• Posted

Thanks Digsby!

I am super happy to say that I am past the symptoms which kept me bedridden. I am doing more around the house etc.. One thing I have noticed, I am really moody "not me at all" I seem to snap at the slightest thing. I am also really emotional, I cry over the tiniest thing.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to see where to from here, hopefully I will "like you said" find what is right for me 😊

• Posted

Great to hear that you are through the worst of the withdrawal. I know the over-emotional feeling and the tearfulness - it is a symptom that made me go to the doctor in the first place (actually I had a psychiatric assessment in A&E). I knew that it was out of character for me. However, I can be quite a "moody" person normally. I'm assuming that this is out of character for you. I hope your apptmnt went well and the doctor can help you with a way forward. Just having some help and support is important to keep hope alive. Good luck :-)
    • Posted

Hey Addi I'm day 5 free of venlafaxine and feel like I'm in hell. I was weaned off slowly but it doesn't seemed to have made any difference. I'm am seriously struggling with the withdrawal. Being continually emotional is the worst! Brain zaps and my life in slow motion have also caused issues as I'm unable to work.

I've been on Valdoxan for almost a month and I'm sure once the withdrawal symptoms go I'll be great.

But today is not that day!

• Posted

Oh Leanne, I know the feeling! I am so sorry to hear you aren't feeling good. My day 5 wasn't my worst, but wasn't good either. I would organise time off work, I don't know how you have gotten to day 5 and still try to keep a somewhat normal life. Day 7 for me was great, I actually got out of bed and stayed up the whole day. Today I am at day 10 and I fee so much better. Not 100% but 100% compared to the worst of it.

Keep it up Hun and try and sleep as much as you can. I am still taking the fish oil tablets as I believe they helped to a degree.

It will feel like you won't ever feel normal again, but that is only when you are at your worse. Be proud of how far you've come! I'm so glad I did it cold turkey. Here to chat if you ever feel like it xx

• Posted

Thanks Addi x

Day 6 and I'm full of anger and these stupid tears that just wont stop.

I'll start on some fish oil today...certainly can't hurt! The diazepam helps too I guess.

I just want to feel normal again. I cant even remember now why I needed to stop taking the venlafaxine. I want this hell to be over and I'm looking forward to day 7 8 and 9. They can't come soon enough.

I'm so happy to hear you are feeling so much better. Are you on any other depression medication now?

Thanks for listening. It's good to share with someone who can relate. X

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

Just wanted to check on you to see how you are going and feeling?

• Posted

Hi Addi

This is certainly the most hellish rollercoaster I've ever endured! From my anger outbursts I've broken my phone and my glasses and while i can go for hours without crying, when i start i can't stop.

But each day seems less horrific than the last...so i guess it's almost over.

My day seemed to start well today i was even feeling my self untill my neices daughter knocked over and broke my mirror.agh...7 years bad luck. The thought of this going on for 7 years! I'm back to a blubbering mess and a floor covered in shattered mirror.

There is still a light at the end of the tunnel. Im positive!

I hope you're feeling better with each new day. We all deserve to feel well and happy right?

Take care my friend and thank you for caring xx

• Posted

That's great Leanne, look at what you have achieved so far. Unlucky about the mirror, try not to let it draw you back! you've come so far.

I feel great even back into excercising. One thing I still have is a short fuse. I can be fine one minute then the slightest thing can upset me and two I end up in tears.

You're exactly right! We all deserve to be happy so let's support each other and get on that rollercoaster to all smiles x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.