My stools are suddenly loose

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 24-year old guy. About two months ago, I noticed my stools started to be really loose. It's definitely not diarrhea, and when it's coming out, it feels like a solid, normal bowel movement, but it's always loose and unformed when I look in the bowl. This is consistent and not a thing that only happens sometimes

I have no other symptoms besides this. No pain, no bloating, no visible bleeding or anything. I go about once a day, maybe once every other day, which is my usual. I'm not constipated and I don't have diarrhea.

I haven't changed my diet either. Adding fiber to my diet causes the problem to go away, but I'm confused why I suddenly need the extra fiber when I'm certain I haven't changed my diet at all.

About two months ago, around the time this started happening, I had a case of mild food poisoning after eating some bad chili. I didn't throw up, but just had really sudden, really bad diarrhea. My question is: could that have caused my gut flora to go out of whack? I tried a daily probiotic for a couple of days but it didn't do anything for me. And I figured I'd have more symptoms if this was the case, but as I said before, I have no other symptoms except that my bowel movements (which haven't changed in frequency) are suddenly just loose/unformed...

Is this maybe IBS, even when this is the only symptom? I'm trying probiotic acidophilus and will give it a go for a couple of weeks, but the loose stool is really freaking me out!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you should consult with doctor. If having fibre fixed the probblem, then you should keep adding fobre in your diet. The loose stool means many be some bacteria in your guts so active. You can google it and find out why. You look for the stool chart to see if the colour of your stool changes. I dont think it is serious but better check. As long as you go once or twice a day that is ok. Do not be so anxious.
  • Posted

Hey,

I had a similar issue in that when I went to the toilet it wasn't 'classic' diarrhea bu when I went to the toilet my stools were formed and felt solid but was actually soft serve consistency. 

I had samples taken and it turned out that I had two bugs in my gut that required antibiotics. So perhaps they are still in there from when you had mild food poisoning?! It may just pass on it's own over time so you could just wait it out... but I had more severe symptoms (shivers, churning/noisy stomach, nausea etc) so it required strong antibiotics to kill them off. 

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Ask your doctor to do a stool test for bacteria/parasites.
  • Posted

yes normal flora of the gut can be altered, even just by a simple mood swings and mostly because of age, and yes, some foods can too.. have you tried eating babana? i would appreciate if you could give a feedback..be glad to be educated too on this..thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.