Ovarian Dermoid Cyst and Gastritis Like Symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am just wondering if I am alone with these types of symptoms. To make a long story short, my left ovarian dermoid cyst (5cm at the time) was discovered by accident when I had an ultrasound done to check on my 2 month pregnancy which was in March of 2013. I had no symptoms at all. The docs wanted to do a watch and wait approach. Moving forward to January 2015, I started having panic attacks and pain in the left side of my pelvic area. The panic attacks got worse and so did the pain in the left pelvic area. I started having terrible left sided throbbing chest and back pain, heartburn, left sided ulq abdominal pain, terrible left flank pain racing and pounding heart and I could not eat anything without feeling like I was about to die. A change in my diet helped quite a bit but I am still having ulq problems along with the pelvic pain over a year later. I had all the tests done for my heart, an endoscopy and colonoscopy and blood work but everything came back normal. CA-125 test also came back normal. The only thing that was found was the left dermoid cyst that is now double the size at 10cm. I constantly feel like I'm going to drop dead by just standing up because the pain from my left pelvic area goes right up to my chest on the left side only. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I finally got a surgery date from my gyno May 5th to remove this terrible forsaken thing! Thank goodness!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Whilst my symptoms were not on a par with yours, I did have heartburn/ pelvic pain/ gut pain/ back pain before I was found to have a large dermoid cyst.  The doctors said that the pains will have had nothing to do with the cyst but, now that the cyst has been removed, most of the pains have disappeared!

So, after your op, I hope you feel a LOT better!  There is possibly a link with at least some of your pains.

• Posted

Hi JanieMac, thank you so much for your response. My family Dr and gynecologist have told me that it is anxiety related since I have been through a very stressful time in my life prior to these symptoms. Most of it included being in an abusive relationship that I had to leave with my baby with nothing but a few clothes and snacks for us. We ended up in a shelter for abused women until I was able to get a place for us. That was over a year ago and I'm still feeling quite awful. I'm not sure if it is only stress and anxiety that is keeping this persistent problem. I think that the dermoid cyst has a lot to do with the issues I have as of recent. I am so happy that you are doing much better now! That gives me hope and I pray that after the surgery I will be myself again.
  • Posted

Hi  Amanda

I'm sorry to hear what you've been through.  Whilst anxiety and stress can clearly have an impact on our bodies, so can dermoid cysts.  I often think that some medical practitioners, when talking to a woman, all too readily attribute ailments to their emotions/ feelings/ stress.  Good luck in May - I bet you will feel a lot better once you've recovered from your operation.  Don't rush things after your op - just be glad that the bl..dy thing has been removed!

• Posted

Hi JanieMac,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I definitely agree with what you are saying and will definitely let you know how I get on after the surgery. Before then, I will try my best to stay positive and keep away from any type of stress.

Again, I am so happy to hear that you are doing much better. I hope and pray that you will continue to get better and better everyday.

Big hugs!

• Posted

Im sorry for what you are going through! I have had GI troubles for over a year. There was a point where I had diarrhea for 4 months straight and my GI doc said it sounded like ibs so he prescribed me some meds for ibs. Well they ended up not working so they did a colonoscopy and endoscopy and everything came back normal. He sent me home to play the waiting game once again and Thursday I had horrible lower abdominal cramps with bloody diarrhea tmi rolleyes well I called in and it was after hours so my doc told me to go to the e.r. all my test came back normal except my ct scan revealed a ruptured ovarian cyst and fluid in my pelvic region but still no explanation for my bowels being out of wack?? Im so confused. He sent me home with pain medicine and said nothing can be done. Im wondering about endometriosis? ?
    • Posted

😱 OMG!!! I am so sorry to hear that! 😩 I would definitely follow up with your gyno to see if endometriosis is a possibility! I hope and pray that you get better immediately. I know that it can take about a week to fully recover from a cyst rupture. Try to take it easy and get as much rest as u can. It sucks that we all are going through hell and our doctors can't seem to help us but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. We will get better eventually. This is only a small bump in the road in our life journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.