Walking after bunion surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had a bilateral bunion operation 6weeks ago and I am worried that I am not walking properly. How did others get on? Did anyone need physiotherapy?

Thanks 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I do believe you need to be a bit more realistic. Both feet have been operated on and you obviously are walking a bit. It will take time to get back to normal. People forget that you are using operated feet and are putting your weight on them. Your surgeon should have told you it is very individual and the healing of the bone does take up to one year. Improvement will be from week to week and after 6 weeks, as long as you are walking, is not bad. Do give your feet time to recover after a bilateral bunion operation.

• Posted

Hi hillBill

i'm at the same stage as you and find walking normally difficult. I've had 2 sessions with a physio and would recommend them. He wants me to walk with crutches properly - putting down the heel and bending the toe joint to push off with ,not walking on my heels with out crutches which gets me around quicker. He also did some manipulation of my upper and mid foot yesterday which loosened everything up a bit and made it easier to walk.  He advised still sitting with with my feet up and using ice regularly  when ever possible.  I also had pins in my second toes removed a week ago and am finding them less willing to engage in the walking process! Good luck to you - it's really hard not to get impatient after 6 weeks not normal life

• Posted

Hi 

I am 10 weeks past mild bunion, hammer and mallet toe reduction surgery and "walking" steadily but I would say with a slight limp. I cannot do more than 1 mile at a time and feel at the moment I should not push myself to do more. Main reason is I have not bought new trainers yet that fit. That's the next step. I find I have gone up a size. I have bought posh soft lace ups that are very comfortable. I have put Vasyli orthotics in my daughter's trainers, which are a size bigger than my usual size just to test. These were re commended by my consultant. Also I need soft walking boots. Being comfortable is the first stage to walking. I used to be a rambler!!! Let me know how you get on. I do Pilates and floor exercises and 5/10 min bike routine at the moment

• Posted

I've only had one bunion done, as well as a big toe fusion and an amputation of a second toe.  I was told to walk on my heel, but to use only one side of my foot.  I'm trying to do this, but I think it's doing bad things to my already arthritic knee.  Physiotherapy has not been suggested, but with yourncase (both feet involved) you probably need tips on the best way to walk without causing damage to other joints and muscles.
  • Posted

Hi HillyBill is there any light at the end of this tunnel of recovery?!  I am 5 weeks on monday post op bunion and hammer toe surgery ( one foot only). I was advised to walk flat footed from 2nd week after NWB. I have occasionally hobbled around without crutches in doors and only using crutches during the night.

I am concerned that my knee is really painful when I turn brnging my 'bad' leg so that my foot points towards my right foot. I fear that so much elavating has resulted in my left leg turning to the left too much and now I cant straghten properley without pain. I am using my crutches again now because of my knee I just don't know what Ive done!

• Posted

Hi It's so encouraging to have people's comments on their progress. I am persevering with the walking and unless I have overdone it, I am finding it gradually getting easier. I have been advised to try and walk on the ball of my foot which I am managing to do most of the time. I guess I have come to realise that it all takes time and patience and you can't rush the healing process. It also depends a lot on how much surgery you have had.

Although I had both bunions done it was through a key hole so I don't have so much scar tissue to contend with! I'm due an X-ray in 2 weeks to make the bones have healed. I am allowed to drive but am finding the clutch pedal a bit uncomfortable and my foot shakes if I have to press too hard so I am having to stick to very short trips for now. 

• Posted

Everyone varies in their recovery and guidence I've found. Ouch how are the balls of your feet? I am walking flat footed and occasionally I will turn my foot inwards a bit and its such a weird feeling.I am not doing any exercises as I guess until my K wire is removed as I can't bend. I feel I will need physio I know I have 3 weeks until wire is removed and finally I will be able to wear a training shoe ( which I will buy to fit if need be.). Have you had much swellling Hillbill? I have been lucky due to elevating alot. I hope once wire out I will get out for short walks and build up and of course try driving. I tend to use the ball of my foot for the clutch ( left foot operated on) and I guess if Im honest I do stay on the pedal a bit! You sound like you are doing great, I guess patience is what I need!
    • Posted

Hi nellie8. Like you I have had very little swelling as I have been keeping my feet up much of the time and doing the exercises etc. Once the K wire was removed walking became much easier but my big toes were very stiff and it felt like I had a hard lump under the ball of my foot. I found that to begin with I was tending to walk on my heels with my big toe raised, but I now I walking heel to toe taking more wait on the ball. My toes are now moving well too so I am really encouraged. I still have some numbness in the front of the left big toe but I think even that is easing! I'll let you know how the driving goes! Hope you continue to improve too!
    • Posted

Hi hillybILL I haven't been given any exercises to do! Are these for post K wire removal? smile

• Posted

Hi nellie8 Yes I asked the nurse who took out the Kwire in the big toes who gave the advice re exercises. This is once the toe splint has been given to replace the K wire.They were fairly simple mainly wiggling the big toe and scrunching up all the toes as if you are picking something up from the carpet.I was advised to do these 10 times a day! This was what I was advised but it may be different for you if you had a different consultant. Hope that helps!

• Posted

hillybill how are you? How is your Hammer toe?Im not sure if mne is 'floating' but it feels tender underneath today ( 7 weeks tomorrow post op). How long was your K wire in Hillybill? Mine is coming out week 8 seems a long time. I feel I am becoming a foot bore!!!
    • Posted

Sorry SIX weeks post op!! I am clearly going crazy!!!

• Posted

Hi. New this evening is walking starting with putting my heel down. Almost jutting it down first on pavement. It's less painful but then they bad foot does have an arthritic instep which would probably benefit from a cortisone injection. This part is probably holding me back walking properly (10 1/2 B weeks post op now)

any advice or experience with these injections?

• Posted

Hey there I'm six weeks after bunion surgery on both feet had pins taken out last week and I reckon the swelling from the pin removal hurt more than the operation itself anyway 6 weeks out I'm walking pain free slight swelling at the end of the day but I will say each week is getting better I am walking slightly "weird" as I'm conscious of my feet but I find that sometimes I find myself walking normal which makes me feel good when I notice it  so you maybe experiencing what I'm going through I guess it's a habit you have to break (the slight limp) but  all in good time so happy I did this I can't wait to excersise again I reckon in 8 weeks I will see a clearer picture best of luck with your recovery be good to yourself 
  • Posted

Hi again I am now 7 weeks post-op and am now finding things are improving. I have bought a pair of walking boots one size bigger than usual and am now walking comfortably on the flat up to a mile a day. Time to heal and patience have been essential ingredients for me. Keep going everybody!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.