Plantar Fasciitis and Walking Boot

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive had PF for 13 months now. When 1st treated, I got a cortisone shot. They Dr just shot my foot where I said it was hurting. It didn't hurt at 1st, but 2 days later I was in the ER and put on crutches. It finally went away and I saw another Dr, who perscribed in insoles. I have it in both feet. I wore them since them since July. About 6 weeks ago, my right foot flared again. Went to a new Dr (since I moved) and he did another cortisone shot (on a Friday). It didn't help any. By Wed, I was back in his office, this time for Oral steriods. Again this didn't help. Last Fri I was back in for a recheck.. this time he perscribed a Walking Boot. For 1 month. Its padded, and has air pads on the inside. I've been wearing this (almost) everyday since then. They only time Im not in it is 1 when I am driving. Where Im at if you are caught driving, or are in an accident with a boot on, its an automatic ticket. Or car accident, your automatically at fault. And 2 is when Im at home (I live in an RV) and I go from the bed to the bathroom.

I do not have it super tight, but I do have it hugging my foot. I have a sit down job, but I do get up to walk quite often. (I'd say 75% sit/25% walk) And I do have a long walk from my office to the bus, and then to my car (1/2 -3/4 of a mile). 

Now we come to my problem, and I was wondering 1 of 2 things. 1, should I bother the Dr about this, or wait (I have 3 more weeks til I go back) and 2 - has anyone else dealt with this pain.

When I sit down, my foot aches tremendously. Doesnt matter how lose I have this thing. When I sit down after walking its even worse. Standing put great pressure on my heal and it feels like theres a rock in my boot. He said if my ankle or foot start bothering me, to let him know.. but I really don't want to just rush back to him cuz Im in pain. Im trying to give this thing a try. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Cushion, cushion, cushion your heel.  See my other posts.  doknabox
    • Posted

thanks, but its not the heel that is the greatest pain, yes it still hurts, but its more the foot and ankle.

Also I can no cushion much more than I am. Then the boot won't fit right.

And considering its like 80 degrees here and about 73 in my office, and about 90+ in my car after work, but foot would be nothing but a sweat ball.

• Posted

Hi jacqueline. Were did u say you are from. I live in spain and i an into my second year of dealing with PF. I have tried most things. The injections. Tablets etc. But the best way to ease the pain is by massage and gels and hot and cold foot baths. Its the only thing that works for me. And im starting to panic cos ive lived in my asics nimbus 17 all winter with orthepedic soles. And now summer is nearly here i just am a bit stuck .

Ive seen some flip flops called happy feet with special gel soles for PF. But there very expensive. But i might try. Will let you know. I think the boot you are wearing is only suppose to be worn at night for bed.

Ive yet to hear anyone say tgey walk about in one????

Try 2 bowls of water one freezin cold with ice and the other as hot as you can stand. Put your feet in one then the other keep repeating. It does give a lot of reliefe.

• Posted

I found berkinstock sandals are great for supporting my feet even though they are hard.
    • Posted

I live in the USA. I cant do ice cuz Im sensitive to extreme cold. It literally makes my entire body hurt. Both my son and I have been in boots, it is worn execpt for sleeping and bathing. I have fallen asleep in it and woken up in the most agonizing pain. My feet naturally bend toes to floor when I sleep. I believe that partly due to me being a belly sleeper; but my feet dont relax any differently otherwise. Even when Im sitting my toes are pointed downward, almost like the tops of my feet are straight with my shins.
  • Posted

Yes you should go back and bother the doctor. You are in pain. If I was you I would ask for a referral to a podiatrist. I had similar problems and terrible pf went to a podiatrist who scanned my feet and found extra bones in my feet and fallen arches. He prescribed inserts for my shoes and a brace for one foot as it was also making me walk knock kneed. The extra bones are apparently a more common problem than you would think. He sent me to an orthopaedic surgeon who sent me for MRI scan. I had my first foot operated on November 2014. He totally reconstructed my heel and removed the bone and repositioned the tendon which had incorrectly attached to the extra piece of bone. I have had 18 months healing totally and I am relieved to say it appears to have worked. I am having the other foot reconstructed and also a bunion removed in May and I can't wait. I have been walking but my bad foot stops me walking too far. It is a drastic solution and I was unable to walk for 7weeks at all, but my alternative was probable total disablement in the future. At the very least constant pain. I learnt how to get around on crutches but I needed someone to help me with lots of things. Hubby was brilliant.

My point is that you should get a qualified person to look at your feet as it sounds like something else is going on. I have heard that injections done incorrectly can cause more pain and damage to the feet. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

I am going to a podatrist. Ive only been in the boot for a week tomorrow. The pain isnt as bad as when I started, but Im a baby about pain anyways. I think he said next is MRI and unfortunately every MRI ive done on my body has never found anything wrong.

(Off subject)

Even when I busted my hand on things 6 months ago (thought I had a boxers fracture) the MRI showed nothing. I punched a wall yesterday and can bearly grip a pencil to write... Yet nothing is ever found to be causing me pain.

• Posted

That sounds so like me. I was so surprised when they found the bones.

Good luck with your quest to sort your painful feet.

• Posted

It sounds like you are trying to manage the pain relatively well, you don't mention it's getting worse so perhaps some exercise from a physio to be done in warm water to keep your ankles moving too.

i found the boot caused pain , like a nerve trapped on the top of my foot, so the angle is too severe for me. Boots bought of the Internet, perhaps custom made ones would be better

• Posted

I hope you feel better. Hugs for you. This is a condition where it is VERY slow healing...... Rest and help prevent from a flare up. It took me about a year to subside the tremendous pain I had. I could not walk at all. 

I still have pain but I can tolerate it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.