bisoprolol and alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on a small dose of bisoprolol. It has taken a while to settle but I don't have any problems with the dose. I enjoy wine and wondered if this is ok. I take my meds in the morning.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Borrowed from drugs . com website

bisoprolol ↔ Alcohol (Ethanol)

Moderate Drug Interaction

Bisoprolol and ethanol may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• Posted

Hi there, I too am on lowest dose 1.25. I take mine before I go to bed. I drink a glass or two of wine in the evening, it's fine! I've never been told to not drink and I had my heart valve repaired couple years ago. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Justsar,

I have been on Bisoprolol for about a year now and at the start of my treatment I was told by by my GP that a glass or two of wine could be positively beneficial.  I have had 'a glass or two' over the last year with no ill effects.  The main thing I think of is my wife's edict: moderation in all things.  So: try everything but don't go mad.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.