Kidney and lower right abdominal pain. Is it IBS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had on an off left kidney pain for about 1 year. It's always been put down to IBS even when it doesn't seem to relate to my other IBS symptoms. I've also occasionally had blood in my urine and been told IBS irritated my bladder. Over the last 3 weeks I've also had constant lower right abdominal pain. It's like a dull ache with occasional sharp pains. I've been told it could be IBS or muscular from straining. Anyone had similar symptoms for either? Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had that too and it ended up being a UTI... I also have IBS... I had to end up going to ER cause I thought it was my appendix. It could also be IBS. I'm guessing with IBS people get different symptoms and stress only makes it worst. I'm learning that the hard way right now.. Waiting to see gastro.. If you have been checked and they say everything is normal but things aernt normal then get a second opinion
    • Posted

Well they originally thought it was a UTI but all the tests came back clear. The blood tests for my kidneys is normal too so that's a good sign. I'm just waiting for an Ultrasound on both at the moment. I've been stressed lately so that could be why. I didn't even think of that. What happened at ER?
    • Posted

I started off with stomach pain going from left to middle and right with nausea, back pain, constipation and loose stools.  I had dull, grinding, sharp and neuralgic pain.  I was tested for a UTI which was negative and was given antibiotics to make sure.  The stomach pain and other symptoms continued and the medication upset my stomach.  An ultrasound was negative for kidney infections and everything else.  The doctor wanted to do the tests again but when I saw an eighth doctor, he told me it was unnecessary because my symptoms had not changed in three months and I had not developed anything new. He diagnosed IBS.

Sometimes people get bladder symptoms with IBS but my only concern is that you have had blood in your urine.  I think you should ask for another opinion on this. Blood is a red flag and not an IBS symptom.

• Posted

Thank you Philippa, that's reassuring. Regarding the blood in my urine. I've had it twice in the last year and the last time I had it was around 4/5 months ago. They assumed it was an infection so treated me with antibiotics even though the rest of the urine was clear. I hand in regular urine samples now to get checked for blood and touch wood they've all come back clear. I do have a family history of kidney stones so they think I may possibly have tiny kidney stones that come and go. I'm awaiting an ultrasound scan of my abdomen and kidneys so hopefully all is normal with that. Thank you for your response and advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.