Why am I getting told to take antideppressants

Posted , 10 users are following.

Today I was told to stop the pred & try either cymbalta or lyrica. Why in the world would I need an anti deppressant? Yes many who do need on can probably benefit from these drugs but why would I need one. I researched these drugs & did not  know they are prescribed for anxiety, restlessness & other things but why would someone suspected of having PMR need a drug like this, maybe to shut us up & not bug the Dr.'s.

I am not an anxious person by nature & I feel that my crazy Dr. is now trying to say my aches and pains are in my head.

This is whats wrong with our medical system, they just want to try & put everyone on anxiety meds even when not needed.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

They aren't necessarily being offered as antidepressants - they are used for nerve pain in various situations and in fibromyalgia as well. So if your doctor doesn't think your symptoms are PMR but fibromyalgia or something else he will try them.

Being cynical - I'm left to wonder if maybe he's just had a visit from the drug rep whose job it is to flog this stuff... rolleyes

• Posted

I was on Cymbalta for several years. I switched over to Savella which was similiar to Cymbalta but much cheaper. I really didn't receive any help or pain relief while taking this drug.  After being in chronic pain for 12 years due to 2 failed back surgeries I started taking Prednisone a few months ago (15mg) daily and am now 95% pain free.
    • Posted

I love to hear these stories where someone is doing a lot

better with their health problems.  Pretty depressing to keep

letting the health system have a go at you and not get any

better.  I have two herniated disc and will keep them as long

as my GP and I can handle the not too bad pain I deal with.

No back surgery for me!  Enjoy our friend Pred.......

• Posted

They can be used for nerve pain.In my case rheumatologist said I had a degree of nerve pain associated with my PMR.Amitryptiline 3hours before bed plus painkillers at bedtime have increased my quality of sleep
  • Posted

Yesterday my doctor started me on Celexa. I cannot tell if that helps at all. I am allergic to Lyrica but nothing I have tried is helping. My pain is so intense and I am getting discouraged as well. Have you found anything that helps. I am also itching all the time. Have you been bothered with that? I really need something to give me a little relief. 
  • Posted

Did the doctor say why you were being offered these drugs as possible alternatives to prednisone?  

I've just come back from a very relaxing holiday with lots of time to read.  On my Kobo happen to be two books about Vitamin K2 and one about osteoporosis and natural treatments versus big pharma meds.  I had read all three before, but only with the osteoporosis in mind.  When I re-read them thinking more about how everything in the body works together I was struck by how things that can lead to PMR can also be associated with OP, and vice versa.  Inflammation is a common factor. It's astonishing that so little attention is paid to how we eat when treatments are devised for the various ailments we moderns suffer from.  

• Posted

my Rheumy prescribed Cymbalta also. It's for depression but also Fibro and muscle and nerve pain. He thought it would help reduce Pred. I didn't fill it. Last thing I need is to add a drug that messes with my head. Haha. I had a bad experience with Lyrica and gabapentin.

Pred may have its issues but, for sure, I'll take those side effects over the others no question. 😊

• Posted

There is NO evidence it helps in PMR - PMR is nothing to do with nerve pain in any shape or form. Where do they dream these ideas up?

As for the other antidepressants - depressive mood is a feature of most autoimmune disorders, including PMR, and chronic pain is a major factor in developing depression - but most of us find that improves once the pain is improved.

• Posted

I had two doctors suggest, and one prescribe Lyrica for the Complex Regional Pain Syndrome involvement with my injured wrist.

So I felt that I could have written all of what EileenH said, exactly.

By the way, I declined to fill the priscription for the Lyrica, and my wrist issues resolved eventually, shortly after I re-injured it curiously enough.

I could imagine a stimulant drug having a positive effect on PMR if it was enough to get a person off of the couch and active much of the day. I am of course referring to the patient already receiving a proper dose of prednisone.

I drink coffee for that sort of stimulation, but I have noticed that it has almost no effect whenever my pred dosage was a bit too low. Regardless, I try to be active whenever I have the energy to be active.

• Posted

I was also offered anti-depressants last week by my lovely doctor, who said like Eileen has, that they help with nerve pain as well...I do have Fibro as well as PMR, but I can`t tolerate them...she said I`m not offering them because  think you`re depressed...I know of people taking Amyltryptaline (spelling?) and it has helped with their pain For Fibro)....I wouldn`t care what the tablet is called if it eased my pain and  could tolerate it!....Good luck....

• Posted

If the Dr wants you to stop taking pred and start taking Lyrica or Cymbalta then the Dr clearly thinks you have something other than PMR. Pred is the only thing that 'works' for PMR (and by works I mean helps with the pain etc)

I take Lyrica as well as pred as my Dr thinks i have fibro or myofacial pain syndrome....it's used as a pain killer (and also helps me sleep).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.