Disclosing mental health issues with employers

Posted , 3 users are following.

What are people's opinions on disclosing information about your mental health to employers? Is honesty the best policy or will that lead to problems?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had to due to long periods off of work but my opinion is if it's not effecting your work life then there's no need for them to know until it does.
  • Posted

I think that symptoms should be disclosed but not crimes unless you want to pay the higher price.  Past experiences can hurt so maybe if you are not  up to it don't talk about it all at one sitting.

rich

• Posted

I have had this problem, I think it depends on your employer and like Dannie said, if you have problems linked to work. You don't have to disclose the whole everything either. For instance I have disclosed to my employer about my mental health, but he most she knows is I have anxiety and depression. She doesn't know the 3 times I was off sick in A&E was because of an overdose. My current employer is very good with it, I work in a hospital, but another employer at the same hospital wasn't. I guess you could find out how they are with mental health by speaking to them about the general subject. Or if you have colleagues you can talk to, ask them what they think about the employer or if they or anyone they know has had any experience with the employer. Good luck whatever you decide to do x
  • Posted

I would say nothing unless or until it interferes with your work. If there is a good reason why your boss has to know, then tell him/her, but if there is not good reason for your boss to know, then say nothing. Your mental health is a personal thing and nobody else's business.

There is always a risk that people at work will look down on you or assume you are not capable of responsibility or not good enough for promotion and all that kind of thing if they think you are 'mentally unstable'. Give yourself the very best chance of success, be the best you can be, and do your best, and don't tell anyone at work anything personal about yourself, if possible.

This is my opinion, and some may disagree with me. I have this opinion because for 20 years I was an employer, so I have a fairly good idea of how many bosses think. They either see you as great potential and so they help you succeed and achieve, or they see you as a fragile thing to protect and keep away from stress and pressure. Which box do you want your bosess to put you in? How would you rather people at work see you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.