My voice is gone, and throat feels swollen

Posted , 7 users are following.

i don't have a sore throat in the usual sense, but my voice is more hoarse than usual, and my throat feels like the glands are swollen.  Is this yet another pain in the throat associated with GERD.  Not ill,  no fever.  Still having probs with lump in throat and mucus.  Endoscopy in a few weeks, but now the wait seems like forever.  Can't believe so many on this site saying docs can't give relief.  Going to try giving up milk and sugars.  When I'm stressed I tend to go for sugars.  The symptoms alone cause stress, don't you agree?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cass,

The symptoms you describe may well be attributable to extra-oesophageal reflux (also known as LPR). Gastro-oesophageal reflux can travel full column and breach the upper oesophageal sphincter producing the symptoms you describe and more.

The www DownWithAcid org uk free book and website has a chapter devoted to extra-oesophageal reflux that explains these symptoms.

Diet can help reduce acidity - as does medication, but you may need to concentrate on attempting to reduce the reflux which is a mechanical thing rather than chemical.

• Posted

Replied to myself in error , pls read.

Cass

• Posted

Give up. Dairy products also.

They always made my mucus worse.

• Posted

Rats!  Replying to myself instead ogf those kind enough to reply

Thanks.  Woah!  This is miserable to deal with.  Also have costochondritis, which affects same areas. Like others gone through every lung and heart test with nothing.  I am older, so would like to handle this without surgery.  What do you drink or put on cereal, etc.  Been waking in night and having wam milk!  People think you are ill when croaking at them.  Embarrassing.  Feel sorry for those of you still in work world.  I was at my writing class this week, madly sucking on cough drops to be able to read my story.  But they could tell my voice was going.  My doc says I am in great shape better than 90% of other patients my age.  Plus I dance in a troupe but lose my breath some days.  Some are 20 years younger, hmmm think that could be it?  😨This invisible disease with no heartburn is a bit depressing.  Which is why giving up chocolate and tomatoes (Italian food-sob) is going to be hard.  Any food or drink advice appreciated.  Btw, how do you kick start your day without coffee?   Do I sound like a whiner?  Sorry about that,

• Posted

Use unsweetened Almond milk instead of milk!! No sugar, tomatoes, chocolate or dairy. You can take the herb Mullein for mucous. Take Valarian root to sleep. Why do you need coffee!! It is one of the biggest drugs in America w/o it being called a drug. Do a cleanse and get all that "junk" out of your system! Eat small meals. Do not eat after 6 pm. Some of your symptoms will clear up! These doctors want to push meds. It's an oath they take!! Gotta do plenty of research for yourself. You can also drink fresh squeezed lemon, honey and a small amount of Cayanne pepper.
    • Posted

I also would use warm salt water to rinse my throat and mouth with. It is natural and won't hurt you.
    • Posted

Wouldn't lemon be acidic like oj?  Someone said nothing acidic.  
    • Posted

Lemon is a citrus fruit & considered acidic however when it gets into the body and becomes fully metabolized it becomes alkaline. It's the one citrus fruit that does not bother me.👏🏽
    • Posted

Lemon after being fully metabolized may very well be alkaline, but when it is in the stomach before being metabolized it is very much acidic and should be avoided for heartburn sufferers.
    • Posted

Good point.... I guess what one can tolerate it may be a disaster for someone else.

My biggest challenge is the palpitations. OMG!! If I wait and eat to late in the morning the horror story with the "palps" start. I can't even sleep in on the weekends. I have to maintain the same schedule as if I'm going to work with the timing of my eating. It's the craziest thing ever!!! I'm going to look into having surgery to close this 2cm HH w/o a mesh....

• Posted

I read just the opposite about what you said about lemon. I read that lemon in water is really good for the stomach.
    • Posted

With all the yeses and no's I guess I should try a mild dose and check it out. Could be some can handle it and others not so well.
    • Posted

Got some almond milk this afternoon.  Will try for mullein tmw.  Taking valerian already as got off Zopiclipone last year, took almost a year.  Cd be the stress of that got this wretched hernia going.....
    • Posted

Good for you!!! Make sure the almond milk is unsweetened. I'm pretty sure the Mullein will help with the mucous. Can't wait to hear back!!👍🏽
    • Posted

I can't take lemon it kills me.  Used to be able to before all this acid took over.  Also Cider Vinegar is a no no now.  You will soon know when you take a sip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.