Over active thyroid treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am just about to see the consultant for an over active thyroid gland and am pretty sure that i will have to make a decision about treatment, either surgery or the radioactive dye. The problem is I only have one kidney, so if i opt for the radioactive dye does anybody know if this could damage my kidney? 

The surgery alos seems to carry risks so I am unsure which option to choose? People's experiences would really help me.

Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Are you wanting to lose your thyroid?  Because you do have another choice you know and that is to keep it.  I and many others have done this but it requires you to become an informed patient and stand up to your doctors.  No matter which of the two options you mentioned that you choose, at least 50% of people do not do well on synthetic T4 (levothyroxin replacement) as it does not function like your own normal thyroid hormone.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply Linda. 

Yes I need to lose some of my thyroid as it is overactive. I am unsure what you mean about 'stand up to your doctors'? Unless you are a medical person, surely they have a greater understanding of what is going on than we do, and presumably, because i believe an untreated over active thryroid can lead to heart attack and/or osteoporosis, some action will be needed. In my case, I feel my doctors are acting in my best interests.

• Posted

Of all the responses I've seen about radioactive dye, very few recommend it.

The removal surgery is also a radical response.

yes, the hyperactivity , yes it will definitely cease! But ....from what I've read, so many regret it, so many say too much was taken plunging them into the darkness of acute hypo thyroid permanent symptoms . 

Myself, I'm under treatment.ma bit hit and miss, I feel awful sometimes.

i don't want a heart attack or osteoporosis , but

neither do I want the rest of my life in hypo horror!!

what Linda means is, sometimes the Drs , in their keenness to 'cure' you act a bit hasty?

Both treatments are quite extreme.

are you sure you're at that point where mess just don't work?

has your thyroid really passed the point of no return?

have you tried self treatment in conjunction with your meds?

Supplements, lifestyle changes, dietary changes, Awareness of foods to avoid, foods to embrace?

im working on the above, I don't want it to come to the choices you face.

if your faith in your dr is well placed and you have exhausted all options then this is indeed your choice.

But you did ask, people aren't trying to change your mind.

opinions here can really help.

all the best.......x

• Posted

Sorry, meant meds

not mess!!

• Posted

Freudian slip! lol!

I agree with your comments. Very wise words indeed.

Pls can you tell me what your diet is. I am gluten, wheat, soy, amaranth intolerant. What a mess.

• Posted

I was recommended selenium supplements, and Complex B vitamins.

i avoid aspartame like the plague, exercise brings on a hyper, and my goitre then chokes me for a while!

bread seems to aggravate it too. I love berry smoothies with skimmed milk, and lots of seeded toppings to meals, and on top of baked rice pudding , or yoghurts .

have you any recommendations ?

olease share, we are in this together x

• Posted

Hi The yogurts may contain aspartame - there is  of controversy over this articial sweetener which can be added to almost anything. It has been proven to be neurotoxic and nephrotoxic and to induce seizures and panic attacks.  Baked rice puddings may contain gluten and corn to which you may have an intolerance.

As for the seeds . I would suggest that you google them individually . I know that an excess of some is inadvisable. I seem to rcall that peanuts are taboo but I am unsure of the reason why.

I will PM if I find out. 

You are right we are definitely in this together.

• Posted

Hi ladies, it seems to me that there is no perfect treatment!! I am seeing consultant on Thursday so will report back after my consultation.
    • Posted

Oscar there was no perfect treatment by my physicians but the one I stumbled upon by doing research and working in partnership with my doc works for me and many others.  All my thyroid levels are normal, my antibodies are normalized and I feel normal with my thyroid on an extremely low dose of Methimazole.  Can't do better than that as far as I am concerned.
    • Posted

Please pm me the Percy treatment, I'm interested! 
    • Posted

Sorry, spellcheck decided on a different word, mean PERFECT !
  • Posted

I am curious as to why Linda 187's post was deleted??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.