Swelling connected to Statins ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I`ve noticed that since taking statin I`ve experienced a marked swelling in my right leg and also my foot. My leg is visibly larger than the left and it`s also the one with all the tendon pain, so I wonder if the two are connected. Plus my foot is so swollen I can bearly bend my toes due to the sking being so tight. I`ve had to go up a shoe size as I can`t get any of my shoes and boots to fit. If I press my finger into it, it`s like dough-the dent remains for quite some time. I`ve been checked out by the GP in case it was DVT and also the nurse during a recent diabetic review but both say it`s nothing to worry about, but have yet to explain what the hell is going on. Curious to know if anyone else has similar problems regarding swelling of limbs and fingers. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have swelling of the ankles and lower legs and sometimes in fingers, have to remove my wedding ring etc....I am on several heart pills, but do take water tablets every day Furosemide, which takes the fluids down.....
  • Posted

I would give up statins for a while to see if swelling goes down
  • Posted

My suggestion would be: check up if any such side effect is listed for all other medicines you take. If not, give up statins for the time being and monitor. Secondly, do find your risk level for heart problems by taking the CVD 10 yr risk calculator to see if you need statins at all. Any score below 7 does not need statin medication at all.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I`ve ceased the statins and am now into my third week without them. The swelling in my right leg and foot only began after I began taking them. As I am diabetic I was concerned it could be connected to that, but a recent review has cleared any problems with my kidneys or diabetic complications. My original non statin reading was 5.4, so I realise I`m pretty normal regarding cholesterol. I just hope that all the pains that made me decide to cease the statins ease up soon. Thank you again for your advice.
  • Posted

My post and the discussion that followed has been deleted and I don't know why.  I followed all the guidelines properly, as far as I can tell.  Didn't have any links, I believe I might have mentioned America's FDA - Food and Drug Administration - , which should not be any infraction.  And which would not explain why comments from 2 others were deleted...
    • Posted

I didn't include any links either. I have no idea why my post was deleted. Guess i'll never know.
    • Posted

Mr Moderator, would you like to enlighten us?
    • Posted

I think I used an exclamation mark or two and one or two words in bold to emphasise, is that considered unacceptable?  I do wish they'd let us know why posts have been deleted, then we can avoid the same pitfalls next time, otherwise how do we know what we did wrong?
  • Posted

So I have continued without statins ans the swelling in my right foot finally seems to be decreasing at last. I can bend my toes with feeling that the skin is going to split. Also my right leg isn`t so painful or tight, so whatever the swelling was, I think it`s finally righting itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.