PVD in early 40's :((

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 42 year old female. About a week ago I started seeing lights in the outer corner of my left eye. It felt like the light you see in a photocopier, lasted for 2, 3 seconds. For a couple of days I didn't think too much and ignored it, until a friend of mine told me this could be a symptom for retinal detachment and I should go see a doctor right away. So I did, and was told that I have PVD (Posteriors Vitreous Detachment) in both eyes. I was told not to worry about retina tear, the chance is very low (phew).

It's been a week since the first symptom and the flashing light seem to have got worse. I read somewhere that the first 6 weeks since the initial symptom is when most retinal tears happen...does that mean I aren't out of the woods yet? My doctor seemed very sure I would be fine...

Also it seems that PVD is common for old aged people. I'm only 42...does it mean that my vision will deteriorate earlier than normal? 

Feeling a bit hopeless...sad((  Would love to hear if someone have similar experience...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,i have them in both eyes also. Very hard to relax,mine is still on going and its been a couple of years. I have some very annoying floaters and wierd visual disturbances that make my anxiety go through the roof. I hope you have one of the normal detachments with not many symptoms. My husband gets so annoyed with me,but its hard to deal with.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply lee12629...I see flashes like every 5 mins. I became paronoid and afraid to move my head. sad The ophthalmologist​ said it will eventually go away and it wouldn't lead to reina tear...I hope he's right...I have a few floaters but they haven't bothered me as much as the flashes. Hope your condition improve soon...hang in there!
    • Posted

Thanks,im sure your flashes will improve,i dont get that much anymore. That used to really freak me out. I went out and purchased some sunglasses which helped. I avoid doung things now,i have to push my self to try and get through these eye changes. Didnt help that I had anxiety in the first place.
  • Posted

hi last year i had a vitreous hammorage with loads of stringy cobweb like floaters that blurred the vision for a while. the blurriness has gone but left with stringy floaters. now for the past few weekr im seeing flashes in the corners of my eye only my right eye is affected. i also suffer from chronic anxiety. im petrified im scared that the drs gonna tell me im going to go blind
    • Posted

Usually within 6 months to a year a persons other eye will get a pvd,i have them in both eyes. Im sorry you are going through this,it has made my anxiety go through the roof also. They can cause alot of wierd symptoms. I see floaters of all types and it rules my days. Please know you arent alone. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

hi last year i had a vitreous hammorage with loads of stringy cobweb like floaters that blurred the vision for a while. the blurriness has gone but left with stringy floaters. now for the past few weekr im seeing flashes in the corners of my eye only my right eye is affected. i also suffer from chronic anxiety. im petrified im scared that the drs gonna tell me im going to go blind
  • Posted

its like looking through a dirty window better with sunglasses issues with anxiety making things worse. also suffering from tinnitus as well.
  • Posted

Hey Rhine, I'm only just 40 and I started experiencing all these symptoms 5 months ago. Perfectly healthy, woke up one day with eye pain, thought it was Conjunctivitis and after a week my doctor told me I had eye strain as I work in front of my computer and my optic nerve was inflamed. A few weeks later I noticed a floater in my left eye, still there, now flashes but no pain and eyesight is perfect. This is 4 months later. I think a lot of these symptoms are brought on by stress and anxiety. Obviously it's great to see a doctor but relax also and the body will most likely heal itself in my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.