Should i worry?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My blood sugar level was 173 after two hours of eating sugar

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

kevser,

For me more detail is needed.

Is this a US measure of 173. being in the UK I use the mmol/L measures.

Is this the first time you have tested?

Did you self test or was it through a Dr?

If you can give more detail then everyone here may be able to help.

Graham,

• Posted

No it was us i mean mg\dl. It was not the first time.it was the second time. The first time I checked two hours after a high carb meal and it was 168 . the first time i checked my fasting was 85. Another time it was 100. I used a monitor at home.
  • Posted

OK I have converted your reading into UK units (mmol/L) which is what I am aquainted with and 168 equates to 9.3mmol/L, which in the UK would be considered high 2hrs after a meal. Your (fasting)reading of 85 equates to 4.7 which is considered good. 100 reading equates to 5.7 which again is OK.

So all doesnt look bad at all. Of course we are all different.

If you are really concerened go to the doctors and have a HbA1c test done and this will give a reading.

Hope this helps.

Graham. 

• Posted

Further to my earlier message, to clarify (Blood Sugar) BS readings like Blood Pressure vary throughout the day. An HbA1c test measures the average BS levels over 120 days which gives a better indication of levels. 
  • Posted

May I ask what inspired you to do a self test in the first place?
    • Posted

Well my grandma has diabetes and i checked her blood sugar alot. Suddenly i got cruious and checked my blood sugar and i was surprised with the results. I am 22 now but when i was in high school after eating carbs and sugar i occaionally checked my blood sugar and after two hours it was 95 but now it is a bit elevated.
  • Posted

Hi kevser92214,

Assuming that you carried out the test correctly, that the blood glucose meter is calibrated AND the test strips are within their use by date, it appears that you MAY be prediabetic, sir.

Having said that, a one off blood glucose test offers little unless the numbers are extremely elevated, which yours is not.

A non-diabetic's fasting (after not eating or drinking overnight) blood glucose level should be between 65 and 99 mg/dL (milligrams per deciLiter) [that's 3.6 and 5.5 mmol/l (millimoles per litre) for those using the International Standard for blood glucose measurement].

Two hours post prandial (after eating) a non-diabetic's blood glucose level would rarely exceed 140 mg/dL [7.8 mmol/l]. I say rarely as there are occasions when it could be higher, such as if the person being tested had one or more comorbid medical condition(s) that are known to cause raised blood glucose levels; if the person being tested was undergoing extreme stress at the time of being tested; or if the person being tested was taking certain types of medication which are known to cause a rise in blood glucose levels. (These medications include those that contain steroids, such as the types used in the treatment of asthma, or for the treatment of certain specific types of infection.)

A pre-diabetic's blood glucose level would be between 141 and 200 mg/dL [7.8 mmol/l and 11.1 mmol/l], and a diabetic's blood glucose level would be higher than 200 mg/dL [11.1 mmol/l].

If you get similar results in days to come you should see your doctor with your findings.  S/he will test you themself to ensure that the test is carried out correctly, and MAY suggest that you undergo an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT).

• Posted

Hi kevser92214

Not to scare you or anything,but I would definitely see a doctor. I'm type one diabetic myself,and 173 would be high even for me. Like graham09410 was saying,100 is a normal fasting level for a diabetic,but for someone who is not diagnosed with diabetes,it should be around 65-70. Don't be scared to ask to be tested for diabetes,if you wait too long and it is diabetes,it could get bad. Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.