What pain relief

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have a large hiatus hernia which I have had for many years. Recently I have been getting pain in back and shoulders as well as just under chest in solar plexus. My gp says it is hernia related. I take lanzoprazole but need to take painkillers to help. Paracetamol not really effective. Has anyone had any experience taking co codamol. I don't want to make things any worse

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Lynda    Why do u want to take all those meds?, and look into having it repaired if it is large...Get it over with and you will feel much better and med free....
    • Posted

Agreed. They don't fix themselves as far as I know...
  • Posted

I had a large hiatal hernia and had to have surgery, also had upper back pain also trouble eating most foods.
  • Posted

There is 40 week wait for hernia repair in our NHS trust so you had better join the queue a sap if you want an operation.

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I have all your symptoms and have tried co codamol which made the whole thing worse! If you have GERD pain killers won't help you should try changing your diet etc etc- all the usual ideas which I'm sure you know about. I have tried all of them and unfortunately I am still struggling everyday.

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

I empathise also as I have a large hernia (originating 2014) and I am at my GP's today for support also. I may need an op but would like ultrasound scan in local clinic first.

I find I cannot eat regular meals and i feel faint often.

I need codeine for pain relief and to end constipation I take a laxative powder drink.

The first diagnosis is epigastric hernia and to check if I have a lower hernia also.

Keep well also.

Kind wishes

Sue

• Posted

Have pretty much all the symptoms you describe and diagnosed with a HH and diverticulum. Also can feel sick both before and after eating. Pending a repair op which I agree is way forward you have to keep trying to find what is right for you, and although easy to say try to worry less as just doesn't help (sure you've heard of a 'nervous stomach' ). For me more frequent smaller meals, over chewing food, plenty of liquids with meal, not eating within 4 hours of going to bed and Lanzoperzole all help greatly. Sometimes also physical movements can cause probs.... Seems very occasionally twisting the torso brings a stabbing pain like something inside has twisted. In September I tried golf and about half way round twisting body when swinging the club had a huge pain surge. Travelled in car for 2 hours in absolute angony and at home immediately settled into a comfy chair. 15 mins later rose and immediately felt something  'twist back' and then it as like nothing had happened. Not even any residual pain! Still have spells lasting 2 or 3 days and to help often switch to a soup based diet until passes. It's hard but work at getting a combination that works for you.Good luck 
    • Posted

In UK can recommend surgery if required.
  • Posted

I have today started taking a herbal remedy to assist the 4 paracetamol I am taking for pain releif of my hernia that contains three loops of incarcerated bowel - two 4mg turmeric capsules a day as according to elsewhere on the Internet it says this helps pain relief and inflammation the product say helps digestive health. The capsules are a viable from Holland and Barret or Boots Chemists any thing to relieve pain while I wait for mNHS operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.