Did I have a stroke?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Alright I'll start with some background:

I'm 29. I've been smoking since I was 16, marijuana and cigarettes. I drank heavily for the past 5 years.

A week or so before this event, I was very stressed out. My dad had an aneurism, I had lost my job for missing work while he was in the hospital, had cars break down, etc.

I had stopped the marijuana about a week before this happened, and I stopped drinking about 3 months prior.

But, I was very stressed so I relapsed. I was on my third beer when I took a hit of marijuana for the first time in about a week. My heart started beating really fast and hard which is usually what happens, but I became very anxious.

About 15 minutes later, I decided to hop in the shower to calm myself and wear off the high because it was too much.

When I stood up from the chair:

- I got really dizzy

- My entire head got cold and tingly, like pins and needles when your arm or something "goes to sleep"

- My entire body got hot and I started sweating all over

- My ears started ringing very, very loud

- My vision started going black

I tried to drink water but I was not coordinated enough to do so. I could barely stand up. I dropped the cup in the sink and stripped down and got in the shower with cold water, but the cold water put my body into shock and I couldn't breathe so I switched it to hot water and then I started feeling better.

Ever since then, my ears are constantly ringing. Not loud, but faintly. I was also fighting some mild erectile dysfunction before this, which has since become worse.

Also, I'm not sure what to even call this, because I don't think it's a flutter, but my heart will randomly beat very hard. It's not irregular or anything, but like; thump-thump-thump-THUMP-thump-thump at completely random times. This has been happening for maybe a year or so.

Any input is appreciated.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Doesn't sound like it, you experiencing a stroke, the symptoms can mean a lot of things, but what you have mentioned fits in with what a lot of panic / anxiety symptoms, Naturaly if I was you I'd be seeking advice from your doctor so that he / she can give you the once over to make sure nothing sinister is happening.

Now what I'm abourt to say may upset different kinds of people, I'm only going on what doctors inform us here, I haven't personally  experienced the "whoopy weed" . It can actually cause panic attacks even though you may feel quite good, and is a known causitive factor in schizophrenia more so when the person smokes them like a tobacco smoker smoker, if that makes sense ? best way I can put it, if a tobacco smoker smokes 20 cigarettes a day, And the person that smokes 20 joints a day are at a very high risk of developing schizophrenia, I don't know if marijuanna is addictive or not like nicotine but "apparently " there are some properties in the marijuanna that  can cause pyschological problems.

If you are back on the "weed" I'd try and stay off it and see what happens, but of course still go to your doctor just to make sure, but what you have described doesn't  really fit for a stroke but weirder things have and do happen. 

• Posted

Stroke is very possible.  I hope you went to the hospital. You didn't mention whether you did or not.You need a good doctor for blood work and tests. I'm not a doctor but I would run, not walk, to the nearest ER. 
  • Posted

If this kind of thing happens ever again, no not, DO NOT go in the shower to calm down, you could have passed out or had a fit, collapsed, hit your head (more head injuries happen in bathrooms because there are MANY hard edge/corners to hit heads on!) Nor to mention the slippery effects of water/soap!!!

I think your body just told you to stay off the weed, sunshine! I'm with the others... SEE A DR, GET CHECKED OUT. It's most likely a warning, but don't take any chances, I doubt that it was anything like a stroke, but if it was something serious you need to see a doctor!

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.

I did not go to the hospital. It's been about 3 weeks now since it happened and I haven't smoked anything besides cigarettes.

I just read the symptoms and I suppose a panic attack could be very likely. But it would have had to have been caused by the stress and weed, because I am a laid-back, very relaxed type of person.

I just figured since my ears haven't stopped ringing that it was something more serious, like a mini stroke. And also since those types of problems run in the family. Grandma died of a stroke, grandpa of a heart attack, and my father has an aneurysm.

Would a panic attack cause my ears to ring all the time, even after it happened?

• Posted

Not too sure.  Ringing in the ears is most commonly an inner ear prolem.  I would still go to a doctor and educate yourself because just the noise alone can cause anxiety.  Take care of yourself and go.
  • Posted

Hi. You are doing the right thing taking actions instead of worrying. Let the docs worry for you, they get paid big bucks. Listen to them. My experience since my stroke, and heat atrack, is that I wish I had a nickel for all that wasted time worrying!  It takes awhile to realize that you got to live life for each day only. If you are reading this, then you are still here, right? First pot is very very very strong these days. One small hit with your low resistance can be a big hit. Ringing in the ears, tinnitus is very common. Most people dont even realize it, but you can get your ears checked for it. You get used to it. Anxiety can also get the best of you. Find a way that helps you learn how to work on that, meditation, medications, hobby, sunny weather a place only you like to go. There is a cost in living, and it aint money. One day at a time. Take action for what you can do, and accept you cannot. You will be fine,
  • Posted

I've experienced this before about 11 years ago. I was also into weed and I smoke cigarettes. I was eating with friends and smoking weed with it when I heard a ring on my ear starting to go loud and I felt like my chest is exploding like bump bump bump everytime my heart beats. I tried to wet myself with water and stay calm but it won't go away. And a minute after that, I immediately run to the ER without wearing any footwear and shirtless. I went over the bed and asked for assistance with the staff hurrying to me. My BP was about 150/90 or above that. Then they tried to ask me what happened and told them I was eating spicy foods which I was but didn't tell them I smoked a joint. I was sent to a bigger hospital and what was written in my case was a heartburn. To me. i think it was a panic attack came with hyperventilation. Last sunday, July 3 in the evening. I had a TIA-mini stroke. Because of family history. Smoking cigarettes (stopped weed 11 years ago). Lack of exercise and because of unhealthy diet. And or stress and staying late a lot. I'm 30 years old. You still have time. My blood lab results say I have high cholesterol. I'm already at home after 2 days in the hospital. I am taking Atorvastatin and Clopidogrel and I'm feeling dizzy and almost vomiting. You still have time. Go have a check up every year. At least you know what to expect and how to avoid it. Its better than surprises.

• Posted

The dizziness and vomiting are vertigo. Mine got worse when I had my last stroke February, 2015. It was the only time I went to rehab after a stroke. It turned out that the stroke was at the base of the brain on my right side so it affected my voice, eyes and writing because I'm left handed. Talk about scared! Because of the eyes one doctor said TED but the neurologist said something about the brain stem. I was in the hospital close to a week then transferred straight to rehab and left there without a definite answer. My eyes were going crazy and was I seeing double all the time. A good therapist helped and I'm doing better now but I still have to do the tracking exercises. I've been told the eyes are essential for balance. I'm backing you up with a lot of prayer. Stay in touch.

• Posted

I also take the same medication as you do; the lowest dose of both.
    • Posted

I'm taking Clopidogrel. Is headache a part of it's side effect. I took it this morning and I got a headache until today which is 6:47pm.

• Posted

I looked it up and didn't see anything about headache with it but I would ask the pharmacist or doctor. Don't ignore it. Also, there could be something else going on. The closest I saw was dizziness. So far I have had no side effects.

• Posted

Yes  headache  can be a side effect from Clopidogrel
    • Posted

Okay! I'll be asking my IM Doctor next visit. It could be other things like I didn't ate enough for breakfast or I ate past the time I should but either way, I'll be listing everything to consult the Doctor after. I'm having a whole breakfast because yesterday I had oats and my body is not used to this. I suddenly ate less and more careful just this week after what happened .

• Posted

Thank you.

Should taking Clopidogrel be also for long when talking about patients who are young? I'm 30 and I have a high cholesterol, If Atorvastatin make it normal again, is it possible for my IM Doctor to stop giving me Clopi. Is it related or am I making sense?

• Posted

Hi JanPulido,

Depends on the doctors, I was on Clopidogrel after suffering a TIA not long after my first mild heart attack when I was 46, some people are on it for life, my cardiolgist took me off it and my GP and the  Neurology Department are wondering why he did that. Any cholesterol lowering medication will assist on lowering high cholesterol but maintaining a healthy diet and you may not need them anylonger unless if  you are like me and your high cholesterol is hereditary then you will need to be on it for life.......I can't tolerate any cholesterol lowering medication and even though my diet wasn't to bad I took a couple of other steps and cut out a few other things in my diet, my cholesterol has lowered significantly but is still high.

Usually TIA and stroke patients are on a drug like Clopidergrel to keep the blood vessels open and prevent further heart attacks or strokes.

• Posted

Thank you!

I hope that my next visit this week would bear another good news regarding my cholesterol level and my prescription drug. I've been paranoid for almost everything that I feel makes me think it's something to do with my TIA and what not. I stopped smoking to reduce another risk for another blood clots and I watched what I eat and check everything with high fat contents and unsaturated fat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.