Relieved im not on my own

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wanted to say hi to fellow PF sufferers mine started about 4/5 years ago but then eased off. I was fine until about 4 months ago and it has returned worse than it ever was before. I am trying to keep up with stretching and have started trying a roller and all kinds of inserts. I find the harder insoles seem to make it more painful the gel ones help a little. Its so nice to have found this group as i felt so alone as nobody i speak to about it knows what it is i look forward to reading what tips and advice others can recommend.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I find it difficult finding a cause for pf flareups. Maybe walking too far in shoes with little support or being careless when stepping onto a kerb. Just that dull throbbing ache you hope will go away but just gets worse and worse.

If you look through previous posts you will see a wide variety of relief suggestions and I would say that anything hard in the shoes is a no no. You must chuck out the vans, converse, flipflops and all other non-supportive footwear. It must cushion and surround the heel and support the arch.

Good quality trainerrs, Crocs, and gel inserts are the way to go. Calf stretching is a good preventative but can worsen a pf episode, a large dose of anti-inflammatories can help although again  some work better than others for different people.

Taping can seem to work but I have not tried it and suggest you look up references for it. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi. I find firm hard berkinstock sandals have been my lifesavers. I have found that the pf subsided when I wore them. It took a few weeks to get used to them but they definitely helped.Very supportive. My husband and brother-in-law both wear them for the same reason and swear by them.
    • Posted

Thank you i will look into them especially with fingers crossed summer coming up. Thank you for replying smile
  • Posted

go soft as possible on the feet...  SKetchers go walk ... you cant beat them...

​freeze wine bottle coolers and stick them over your feet is good too.

• Posted

I said that pf can be very different (apart from the terrible pain) in terms of preventation and while Skechers GoWalk are really comfortable shoes, I wore them continuously for four days and believe they caused a pf flare up that fortunately only lasted a week or so.

Generally the advice is that if the shoe is soft enough to bend completely in half, it will not give enough supprt. Every weekend I give tours over some very uneven, cobbled type ground covering about five miles. This hasn't (fingers crossed) given me apart from 3 or 4 sessions when I couldn't walk due to pf, much problem and I wear Timberland or DR Martin boots with gel heel supports, or Asics Gel trainers.

Birkenstocks I agree can be good because although quite a firm footbed, they do have both very supportive heel cups, and arch support.

I also wear Reebok Easytone/Trimtone trainers that are very supportive.

• Posted

i agree with the Asics trainers - but my orthopod told me they had to be 'nimbus' ones which help me too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.