Frozen Shoulder...Round 3!! No injury...Not diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have seen several people who have posted that they have had this in both shoulders. I have had it in both and now on the second time for my right shoulder. This time is much more painful than the first two. I have done my best to wait it out and I just cant take it any long and am considering surgery this time. The three cortisone shots have done nothing for me.

My doctors have said this is an unusual case. They have never mentioned hormone levels. They have been checked twice this year and come back fine. Do I need to ask for a specific test or should I try hormones first to see if they work before I try surgery?  

I am a person that just tends to do what the doctor recommends but I don't want surgery if I have another possible option. 

Thank you smile

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OMG !! Tell me this isn't true, all ive read suggests that you cannot get FS twice in the same shoulder?? Can you ask for a MRI first to confirm before you consider surgery? How did you get through the first two cases, as a personal opinion I wouldn't always do what a GP reccommeneds as they appear to have very limited insight to this awful condition , you must do what's best for you.. Take care
    • Posted

I am living this nightmare!   The first two FS were painfull not like this!! I had corisone shots, and PT it eventually went away on its own I never considered seeing a ortho. I have taken so much medication I now have a peptic ulcer and take meds for that. I am right handed but it is hard to eat because it is hard to lift my fork to eat. I switch back and for left to right but eventually I give up. It's not worth the pain. I try to eat things you can eat with your hands. The ortho doc has given me tramadol and that takes the edge off a bit but I only take it on extreme pain days as it can be addictive.  I see the  PT tomorrow who would be working with me after surgery because I want to know his opinion before I decide.  It seems I have no choice the surgeon says its locked pretty good and I would not get my full range of motion back even if the pain goes away.
    • Posted

i had tramadol and morphine have been on it since August last year along with paracetamol and ibuprofen, i used tramadol and morphine from 7pm and paracetamol and low dose morphine in the day. it eased the pain and i took myself of it week before i had surgery. i have only slight pain and stiffness from surgery which is what yiu would expect im so glad i had surgery i had subacromoal decompression and capsular release brilliant so pleased witb it if it happens again with my other shoulder i wouldnt hesitate to have surgery
  • Posted

I am so afraid that I entering the exact same situation as you. I've already has FS once in each shoulder, and now over the last month my right shoulder has started having that familiar pain again. No restriction on range of motion yet - just pain.

No injury here either, and not diabetic - but I am in the middle of perimenopause so my hormone levels are fluctuating a lot, and I do have a proclivity toward autoimmune disease. For example right now I am fighting a month-long rash that won't go away. So I am wondering if my FS is also some kind of manifestation of an autoimmune flare...?

• Posted

I have had epilepsy since I was 25 and am almost 51 now.  They dont know why I got it as an adult. It is 100% controlled by medication. They have told me it has nothing to do with it. 

I guess if I have learned anything from this it might be that the scar tissue that is left after the frozen shoulder may be the issue. I would not wait to have it looked at.  I waited almost 5 months trying to work on it myself before I went in. My GP did not want to do the MRI so I asked for a referral to an Ortho and he did the MRI first thing. He saw the scar tissue right away. I went in every 4 weeks so he could see if I progressed at all.  He gave me two months to see how I would do on my own because I wanted so badly to get better on my own. When I left his office last week he told me he could see I was almost at the point to make the decision on my own to have it done. That is what he is waiting for. 

If this becomes a problem dont wait and suffer! Please go in and have it looked at. Get an MRI it must be done for them to see what is there. 

• Posted

Deena65, how long was it between when your FS in the recurring shoulder first cleared up, and when it started hurting again? Thanks...
    • Posted

My right shoulder was the second one to get FS, in 2011. (I first got it in the left shoulder in 2010.) The right shoulder cleared up around late 2012... and now here were are in 2016 with it hurting again. I'm wondering if that gap of several years is consistent with your experience...??
    • Posted

My first one on was on the right shoulder 2006-2007. My second one on the left shoulder was 2009-2010. I cant remember exact times, Now right shoulder April 2015 was my first apt. so its been a year already. Way to long to wait!
    • Posted

Thank you, Deena, that is very helpful. I am going to see my primary care doc this afternoon, and it will be very useful to be able to tell her what happened in your case. Thanks much.
    • Posted

The doc said she thinks I have a rotator cuff injury, not a recurrence of FS... I am so hoping she is right!! She said if it's a rotator cuff injury, it should improve in about a week. So, I'll know pretty soon. Wishing all of us good news and good outcomes.
  • Posted

Do you have symptoms of hypothyroidism ?
    • Posted

I have been checked several times but it comes back normal. My mom and sister have it. I am tired and take naps every day and have for years. My skin is dry for the last 2 years, especially my feet. I am always cold except when I have hot flashes. That seems to be getting better now that I am in menapuase I am not so cold all the time. I have been in menapause for almost 3 years now. 
    • Posted

My mother and sister both have it so I have it checked often. So far my numbers are all good. 
    • Posted

i got checked in not but i have B12, Folate and Vitamin D deficient so i struggled daily then with the FS as well i was just exhausted
    • Posted

i got checked for that its normal however as i said further theirvatecother things that have similar symptoms i was always tired sleeping for 14 - 15 hours before frozen shoulder and still feeling tired with frozen shoulder 15 hours broken sleep feeling worse pins and needles brain fog pain aching joints fatigued i was B12 deficient folate deicient these levels were low and further blood test very little to virually no vitamin d i had B12 injections folate tablet im currently on vitamin D ampoules twice a week and tablets.alomgbwith frozen shoulder fow which i had surgery last week youdcbe amazed what vitamins do and dont do everyone takes them for granted but without them you feel like crap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.