Dry eyes, looks like I have black eyes

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am currently 19 and this problem has been torturing me everyday for around 6 years now. Underneath my eyes, even more so under my right eye, it looks as if I have a black eye. They are always irritated and feel dry, there are small bumps where the blackish/purpilish color appears. I am very self-concious about this, and ever since the problem began, almost everyday someone would ask what happened to my eyes. I don't know what to do. I've tried taking allergy pills, eyedrops, I have a healthy diet and I am very active. I have hated going into public for the past 6 years because of how bad I feel about myself, so I stay isolated as often as possible. Please if anyone can identify my problem and provide a solution, you would change my life.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,my son had something similar to what i see,i believe he was told to wash the eye lids and under the eye with baby shampoo,and rinse well. He was told to not get it in his eye. He also had dry areas and used some kind of over the counter mild skin lotion. Sounds definitely like dry eye. Probably where the glands in your eyelids become blocked? My sons general practicioner knew right away what it was. His problem is pretty much resolved. I have no idea if youve seen a doctor or not,I would go to an optometrist and probably a dermatologist if possible. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response, I will try the baby shampoo and see what the results are
    • Posted

Is what you describe blepharatis?

That is usually treated with baby shampoo in water rubbed very gently with a Q tip along the upper and lower eyelids. But there is much more to that treatment and it that's what's wrong, check it out first.

Personally I haven't heard of blepharitis affecting the under eye area.

• Posted

Just saying what my son had to do,he would get very red and irritated around his eyes. What I said got rid of it.
  • Posted

I find it hard to believe you've been keeping yourself away from people for six years without cheking out with a GP, an ophthalmologist or a dematologist in all this time.

So what did they say?

But now that I've been able to enlarge your picture, it looks to me no more than a common skin variation, where the under-eye area is darker than the rest. Very common and nothing to be self conscious about at all. Certainly nothing to keep you from hanging out with friends.

At your age you should be out there having a good time.

If it is really making you suffer, your GP can pescribe a specially matched dermatologically prepared skin cover-up. A kind of make-up for discolorations. You get to match your skin colour against a choice of about 50 colour variations and if you get a good match it can be almost invisible.

Is it the skin that's dry or the eye? Dry skin can be treated with simple face cream and dry eyes with a wide variety of eye drops and gels.

Normally a very healthy diet of veggies and fruit might make a difference, but you say you already eat a healthy diet. Try a nutritionist to get the balance right.

• Posted

I know it may sound like a long time, and after being to the docter he said it was "probably" allergies.

The reason I have become so self-concious about it is literally almost everyday someone would ask me , who hit you in the eye? Even while I was in basic training the drill sergeants would destroy me because they thought I had been fighting, good times.

It is both the skin and the eyes that feel dry and irritated, even after taking allergy pills, eye drops, and nasal spray which the docter said might help, none of those caused any change.

• Posted

Tear film has 3 layers so best to know what layer is causing the problems as drops vary according to which has the deficiancy.
    • Posted

As far as I can see, the two things need to be approached separately: If it is blepharits, which can create a kind of crustiness along the inside of the eyelid, then the treatment is outlined online.

If it is an allergy, then allergy testing would be appropriate...keep a diary of what you eat, what the weather's like and what polluants you might be exposed to, and monitor how your eyes feel/look in relation to those variables.

One approach to those who want to know who has been knocking you about in the eye, is to laugh, make up a very over-the-top dramatic story (about how you valiantly saved the life fo a damsel in distress, for eg???) and let it all roll off you. That'll shut them up. And you get to have a laugh into the bargain.

• Posted

Me again,maybe its caused by rubbing your eyes so much because of irritation. The good news is,you can cover it up,there is makeup that is used to cover dark circles,no one will ever know,been doing it for years.
  • Posted

This may be a combination of dry eye combined with eczema under the eye. Try using artificial tears from the pharmacy[no need for a prescription] and also at night  use an emollient under the eye. Try olive oil for a start or even plain old Vaseline. You really dont need to feel so self conscious about this,but need to persevere with any eye drops you are given    If one type dont give you relief there are so many others you can try.   Dont neglect this as it could get worse and then infections can start. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, I picked up some of these artificial tears yesterday!
    • Posted

Yes. This is a good diagnosis. Eczema can make the skin rough and red and a bit itchy. The oils and stuff are good, but if it doesn't work there are creams for eczema.
    • Posted

Oil and vaseline are good for a start as they shouldnt irritate already irritated eyes.  If they dont work,then a doctors advice is needed for an apropriate eczema cream for the face and especially near eyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.