Sudden dull headaches lasting minutes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone experienced sudden onset of a dull headache and then colour draining from face which lasts a couple of minutes and then disappears.

My husband has been experiencing these 'funny turns' for a few days often 3 or 4 times a day. This happened a few weeks ago and lasted about a week but then stopped. They have now reappeared and just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any idea why it could be happening. He does have high blood pressure which is managed with meducation and seems okay.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My son suffered with abdominal migraine, and the colour would totally drain from him and his skin would look greyish. This started when he was about 7 or 8, lasted a few years, disappeared and reappeared at exam time, first year of Uni, so stress seemed a big part. I'm not sure how long the pain lasted but I seem to remember it faded and came back. 

I wonder if it might be an idea for your husband to get his BP checked while he's having a headache, to see if there is an effect his blood pressure.

it might help keeping a diary of events and food and drink to see if you and he can identify triggers.

• Posted

Some really good advice there thank you. I will certainly do BP at that time and monitor food and drink etc to see if there are any triggers. I wondered if it could be linked to a sort of 'migraine' although he has never suffered from them you never know.

Thanks again

• Posted

I think it's probably best to get this che
    • Posted

Oops...I'll try that again! I think it's probably best to get that checked out, just in case it's something like mini strokes (while that would clearly be a big thing to have to deal with, it definitely better to know about). Hypertension places the sufferer at greater risk of stroke, today's medicines are amazing at dealing with this, but you need to check it out first. I realise, of course, that men are frequently reluctant to go to the Dr's, but do your best to get him there. Hopefully it's nothing sinister.
    • Posted

Hi Wendy I must admit the mini stroke scenario did cross my mind but he doesnt have any of the other related signs which we are told to look out for ie slurred speech etc.

I am going to check him more closely and keep a diary. I worry a bit about blood sugar levels as he is vegetarian. Going to get some good multi vitamins too just in case.

If it continues he will have no alternative other than to go see his GP although he is a man and always reluctant to do so.

Thanks again

• Posted

I mentioned mini strokes because of the passing phases that he's experiencing. I had an aneurysm in my brain, that I was oblivious to, until it ruptured in 2012. My only immediate sign that something was wrong, was a 'thunderclap headache', which just hit like a tonne of bricks, the worst pain I ever experienced. I later found out that I'd had a haemorrhagic stroke, a big one. To shorten the story, I was incredibily lucky to survive, and well enough to, mostly, communicate at a reasonable level (except when I have horrendous headaches, a common aftereffect of cetebrovascular surgery, apparently. Anyway, my point is, that medical problems don't always present in a specific way. It's just lucky for him that he's got you watching over him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.