Contact Complications

Posted , 2 users are following.

04-27-2016 12:13 AM by Chickenlady4321

Hi I am 22 years old. Awhile back I went to the eye doctors and had gotten a new prescription for my contacts and glasses. I have been using both for years. I was diagnosed with an astigmatism this time around. I got my glasses and they are wonderful and crisp, but I just recently got my new contacts and wore them and I can hardly read anything. It's like night and day for the difference between my contacts and my glasses. I have never experienced this problem before. And I noticed it isn't just one eye. It is both. I can even close one eye and then the other and see that they are both just as bad, so I don't think it has anything to do with my astigmatism. Also made sure I have the contacts in the right eyes and they are. It just amazes me how much better my glasses are. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You've likely already checked things like this, but also of course check the power of the lens to make sure what you received matches the prescription your ordered (and see if the prescription looks somewhat close to the glasses prescription to be sure the doctor didn't accidentally write it down wrong).  If they are disposables perhaps you can try another pair of them to see if you have the same problem.  Its unlikely, but there is always the possiblity you got a batch of defective contacts, but that is even less likely if you have a different prescription/box for each eye (which you likely do since you mentioned checking to be sure you had them in the right eyes).

You don't mention if the contact lenses correct for astigmatism. Sometimes if the astigmatism is minor, they don't bother using toric contact lenses to correct for astigmatism and just use spherical contact lenses since they are less complicated.  Usually that works out fine since people have good enough vision with minor astigmatism that isn't corrected, but perhaps in your case you need it corrected.

If you do have astigmatism correcting contacts, toric lenses can sometimes rotate.  If you do have toric lenses then you might try blinking for a bit and giving them a few minutes to be sure they've settled into the right position, otherwise that will reduce your vision.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply! Everything seems to be correct with the prescription. The contacts I have I am pretty sure are not to correct the astigmatism, so maybe this is the case and I need toric ones. I have been using acuvue 2 lenses for years so maybe it is time to switch! I have an appointment on May 7th so I will post an update on what my doctor says smile
  • Posted

Hi, I found out that I did indeed need Toric contacts. They seem to be working good for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.