Itchy scalp and dandruff

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I have suffered with an itchy scalp and dandruff for years, although it's not a severe kind and not really sought after advice before. The dandruff isn't visible normally, only when the hair is ruffled and you can see the flakes fall out. Scalp is dry and itchy though.

I have tried most of the standard anti dandruff shampoos. the head and shoulders itchy scalp and normal anti dandruff shampoo plus the neutrogena more coal tar based ones. Neither seem to make relieve any of the symtoms which is strange given they are highly rated shampoos which have halped a lot of people.

I have also tried some other remedies e.g coconut oil in the hair overnight plus some other in between washes oils to moisturise the scalp but these haven't worked either.

Given it's not a severe type, more just annoying I am not convinced a prescription shampoo would be any more effective than the standard types. Is there anything else I could use that would help?

Regards

Stephen

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I found Sebco ointment very effective which was recommended by my dermatologist. It is a coconut oil compound with salicylic acid and sulphur. You leave it on for an hour before washing it off. You do this for seven days then do a maintenance dose twice a week as needed. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Two things which helped my scalp dramatically, going non toxic/chemical free, using a natural shampoo,and most importantly apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. Hope this helps. However I've heard mint shampoo works if it's preferred for you.
  • Posted

Hi Stephen, have you tried using a very mild shampoo without sulphonated fatty acids (SLS free shampoo)? These shampoos will foam less but at the same time dry your skin out less. At the moment I am using a super cheap kids shampoo from schwarzkopf. Works for me.  The other thing I would recommend is use an antidandruff conditioner instead of a shampoo. Choose one that contains zinc pyrithione for example head and shoulders and leave it on for a good few minutes before rinsing. I found conditioners are much more efficent since you leave them on for longer and they moisturise your scalp.  

You mention that you are not convinced about medicated shampoos. I will recommend one anyway. It has worked well.  It is called ceanel, is SLS free and contains undecenoic acid. It is antifungal, antibacterial, and has descaling properties.

To judge if any hair product is good for you, you should monitor the itching after washing your hair. If the itching reduces and your skin calms down it's ok. If soon after washing your hair the scap is itching again then I would switch to a different product.

Hope this helps.    

• Posted

Neutrogena T-Gel is recommended by doctors. My son uses it and he's very happy. No dandruff. It has tar soap which helps for eczema skin too. You can also dilute it with water and use it as body wash for eczema. Good luck!
    • Posted

I have used this product a lot but for me it hasn't really worked. I have also tried the extra strength version which seemed less effective than the T-gel. I'm not sure why neither seem to have an effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.