I'm 35yrs old and today I got told I have no ovaries

Posted , 5 users are following.

my husband and I have unsuccessfully been trying for a baby for the past three years. I went for a routine CT scan to rule out infertility issues and they discovered I have no ovaries. Blood test also show abnormalities with hormones.

all I ever wanted was to be a mummy biologically, how am I going to cope? I feel unwomanly, like I'm not doing my bit for world repopulation. It's so much more than though! I'm absolutely devastated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have they never picked this up earlier with regards to having no periods etc?

Sorry to hear you are going through this xx

• Posted

This news must be devastating for you.  Like Shannon asked - did no one pick up on this before?  I know how you feel though as I can not have children due to hysterectomy. Hope you get the support to help you get through this x
  • Posted

I have never sort help before, but always suspected something was wrong. When you have unprotected intercourse for three years most days and it results in no pregnancy you tend to think the worst.

thanks for commenting, it's comforting to know people care, even if they are strangers....actually strangers have an unbiased opinion of you because they DONT know you! 😔😔

• Posted

I understand how upsetting this must be but don't forget the science and technology we have these days that you can be helped with.

I'm just still wondering how it wasn't picked up years ago as no ovaries would mean you never had periods? This could have been a warning sign fat earlier on.

All the best xxx

• Posted

You can still bleed when you don't have ovaries, if you have a womb. Your endometrium still needs to break down so it doesn't get thick every month. What I thought were my menses was actually this. I didn't have them very often anyway. I put it down to being overweight most of my life, clearly I was wrong....I will know more over the next few days
  • Posted

So sorry you are going through this, it must be so hard for you, you have obviously only very recently found this out and you must still be in shock, I know this is not what you most probably want to hear at the moment but if it is impossible for you to be a mummy biologically then there are plenty of other ways for you to still be a "mummy" perhaps when you feel the time is right you could think about this. 

My heart goes out to you. x

• Posted

I understand that and if I decide to be someone else's Angel I will jump at the chance. I literally only found out today and needed to just vent....
  • Posted

Just a thought - did they say you were not ovulating or you had no ovaries - and as others have said there are other ways for you to be a Mummy - and I hope you get that chance.  Please keep us informed as you learn more - hopefully we can continue to offer support.
  • Posted

I am so so sorry to hear this news. You've pictured yourself as a Mom your whole life, had dreams for your future child and family and, suddenly, you've been hit by this shocking news. You are going to need to take some time and adjust to your new reality. When I lost my baby at 6 mos pregnant, I really needed help to get out of the depression. I tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it really really helped. This, or some sort of grief therapy might help you through this difficult time. Then, when you are ready, you can pursue the many options for growing your family. Hang in there!

Lauren- from the United States

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.