Chronic Migraine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I finally saw a Neurologist last week after 6 years of constant headache, pressure, nausea etc, and I mean constant, every moment of everyday.

I was mis diagnosed by 2 ENT Consultants as having mid facial segment pain.

I have lived on Amitriptyline, then Carbamazapine, Gabapentin and now Venlafaxine. I only started the Venlafaxine on Monday but have got horrendous leg cramps with it so it looks like it'll be getting changed again.

My Neurologist talked about Topriamate, but apparently it can have some nasty side affects?

I'm also looking at daith piercings to help ease symptoms. Has anyone any other advice as to what you find may ease the pain?

Victoria

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria

I saw a neurologist 18 months ago - I have suffered with migraine for over 30yrs and following a hospital admission with a really severe one I was referred.

I was out on Topiramate and initially I was really well for 6wks with no migraines but then they started creeping back. 18 months later I was admitted to hospital twice in one month with such severe migraine that I passed out each time. The consultant in hospital told me to come off the Topiramate as it clearly wasn't doing what it should. The withdrawal was awful!!!! Had I known how difficult the withdrawal would be I would never have taken it.

Everyone is different though so it may well work for you. I have been put on Venlafaxine by my GP for depression as I have got very low with the amount of migraine I have and how it is effecting my work/life. I only take 75mg a day though.

Nicki.

• Posted

Bless you it's bloody awful isn't it. Do you get any side affects from the Venlafaxine?

• Posted

Haven't had any side effects from the Venlafaxine. I didn't realise it was prescribed for migraine ... What dose do you have?

I am going to the National Migraine Centre on Friday to see what they say.

• Posted

My Neurologist prescribed it last week, apparently venlafaxine and topiramate are the top 2 most proven to help. Then there is propanalol and also Botox.
  • Posted

Hi Victoria

I had my first botox 3 weeks ago and still suffering the side effects.  I was told that migraines may be worse for first few weeks before they settle down and some people may not notice anything until the second lot (12 weeks later!).  I will let you know how I go.

Hopefully though your medication will help.  Good luck.

Claire

• Posted

Hi vickster79

I'm in the same boat as you so I can relate to how you're feeling! I had been on topirimate for over a month and I didn't have nasty side effects- I could cope with them.I just had tingling in my feet and hands, and I lost about 3kgs on it since I never felt like eating. Since I went onto a different medication my hunger is back to normal, everyone is different though! Personally it didn't help me one bit. Maybe you could talk to your neurologist about trying nadolol? My neurologist prescribed me these pills, it has helped me a little bit but Its better than nothing, you could give it a try smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.