Esophageal Spasms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All. I had a nissen fundoplication four months ago. All is well except I occasionally have horribly painful heartburn that my doctor has said are esophogeal spasms. It feels like a heart attack. Does anyone have this as well, and what have you learned about it?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Did you have this before the fundoplication?
    • Posted

I did have about four episodes within a few months prior to the surgery. Those were my first experiences.
  • Posted

Hi laurie

I don't want to alarm you but if you have another attack go straight to A&E. The only reason I say that is I suffer badly with reflux and food sticking. I thought I was having another bout last Valentines Day but my work insisted I went to hospotal and as you can guess I was having a heart attack. I would tell anybody to err on the side of caution.

• Posted

Hi Jenzo,

Thank you for your reply and your advice. When the spasms are at their worst, I do consider getting emergency medical attention but I don't do it because I am afraid of being foolish - and incurring extra expenses. Your warning is well taken, though. I should probably have my primary doctor do an EKG to be sure my heart is healthy. Thanks again.

• Posted

Laurie,

Sorry to hear that you are having such issues.  I also have what must be some form of esophogeal spasms, most likely caused by my reflux problems.  My attacks come on most often when my wife and I are dining out and result in my leaving her to finish her meal, box mine, and pay the bill.

My attacks come on with severe chest pain and it is so severe that I can't talk.  I throw up white froathy and stringy fleem; but never food.  My attacks last from 5 min. or so, up to 4-5 hrs.  The last one was one of the worst and we were in the process of preparing to leave for the ER, when it suddenly relieved, so I didn't go.  Will take Jenso007's advice and treat such attacks with more respect.  I am under a Cardiologist care and have had multiple EKGs run, plus Ultrasound scans of my neck and so far, nothing noted as damage to the old ticker.

Good Luck with your problem and maybe through this open discussion, we may find a cause and cure for our problems.

• Posted

William, thank you for your reply. I am also sorry to hear of your suffering. I am thankful that my attacks do not last several hours, as they are so very painful. My fundoplication was performed by a general surgeon here in the US. When I told him my symptoms and he identified them as esophageal spasms, I asked him what I can do to manage the pain. He prescribed an anti-anxiety medication which worked very well but obviously that is not a long term solution. He also said that sometimes channel blockers are prescribed. I did some searching and this was confirmed. I hate the idea of having to manage symptoms with medication, which is why I had the surgery in the first place. I may follow up with a gastroenterologist if it continues. Best wishes to you, I hope you find some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.