Diagnosis confusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had positive SSA and SSB tests and an abnormal Schirmers result.  I have extreme fatigue, dry burning eyes, headaches, dry nose, dry skin, dry cracked lips, dry throat and dry mouth.  The rheumatologist said she thought she could diagnose me with Sjogrens based on all that but suggested I could do a lip biopsy if it would make me more comfortable starting some of the more heavy duty medications.  So I had the lip biopsy and just got a message that it was normal.  Does that mean I don't have Sjogrens?  I am totally confused.  The rheumatologist's message said it was Sjogrens negative but I can keep taking Plaquinel until my next appointment and we will talk then.  The dry mouth isn't constant.  It comes and goes.  Everything else is pretty constant.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The test can be neg for ss and you may still have it. That is why so many do not do the biopsy. The bloodwork was pos so that should be enough for the dr to stop worrying you and let you relax with a diagnosis and meds. Rest, eat well and exercise. We are here for you. 
  • Posted

my rheumatologist is not compassionate

wantsme on anti depressants

I panic nose get bloicked a night and mucous cant cough up

iake valium and i cant sleep.i get up every morn at 400 and have the same thing then try to clear my nose. i eat the same every day and sometimes food gets stuck like ceeal

have to drinkwith meals and pills make my throat spasm...Yes ive had this dsine august started out with interstitual bladder fibro

• Posted

Only 1 answer - get a new rheumatologist. You have to have 1 with minimun 3 pre-requisites: up to date with the latest, an interest in SS and compassion. That is all.
  • Posted

I think a humidifier might help the dryness. Do you have forced-air heat? It can make the air in your house very dry. Drink a lot of fluids and moist foods that don't contain a lot of sugar. I am sorry your dr was insensitive. You are not the first person who was prescribed anti-depressants to make you forget you feel badly. It is very insensitive. Reducing the inflammation that causes the dryness is key. Eat the Paleo or Darwin diet. Get outside for a fast walk, etc. Meditate. Do things that relax you. Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.