PMR and osteoporosis.

Posted , 14 users are following.

My Gp called me yesterday to say my dexa scan results are back and they show osteoporosis. He's asked me to have some blood tests then see him next week to discuss results and start Alendronate. Im really wary of starting these tablets because of the nasty side effects so wondered if anyone had experience of them that they could share.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My rumi put me on it and gave me the monthly pill. My pharmacist recommend the weekly for fewer side effects and my GP recommend none and said no nobel prize will be won on these drugs.

I took the weekly pill and suffered with flu like symptoms all weekend so said no way, my bones are good right now.

My rumi is still pushing but now a daily pill but i will hold off till my next scan. I eat hords of cheese and cream daily plus my vitamins. Everyone is different and I'm extremely sensitive to these drugs that we need and literally have the majority of side effects.

Hope this helps Mariane

• Posted

thank you,I'm not sure how severe my results are but will ask at my GP appointment next week. How often do you go for scans? I'm really not keen to start these drugs if I can help it 
    • Posted

In Canada i go yearly. Eye appointments once on prednisone is every 6 months. I see my rumi every 2-3 months.
    • Posted

I meant to tell you on one of the other forums this was discussed and i believe it was said the drug actually hardens the bone making them more susceptible to break.

I'm sure someone like Eileen will give you the facts.

• Posted

That's good and enables you to keep an eye on things. Has your diet improved things?
    • Posted

I am on a low carb diet so i eat lots of cheese and milk products. I don't count calories and no problem keeping my weight in check.

My husband is on the same and lost weight and at his physical was the best yet including his cholesterol was never better.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Interesting, I was mindful of anti inflammatory foods so reduced amount of cheese and milk opting for eggs and yoghurt instead so possibly need to rethink the foods I eat. I thought my diet had helped my PMR symptoms but it appears to be at the detriment of my bone health whilst taking prednisolone
  • Posted

I take this weekly and so far have had no adverse side effects. As has been said previously we are all affected in different ways with the drugs we take. You could always try it to see if it works for you..if not you can always stop .
    • Posted

thanks MaryPat,it's reassuring to here someone who has taken it without side effects are you still taking prednisolone?
  • Posted

I take weekly alendronic acid and have done for about 18 months. So far, no side effects. I'm on a high dose of pred for GCA. My DEXA scan showed that I have osteopenia, which is the stage before osteoporosis.
  • Posted

Hi again...yes still on pred.Have been for 3 years and have had a bit of an up/down situation with it. Have been down to 4mg a couple of times but now back up to 12 because of recent flare after picking up a viral infection. At the moment feeling ok. Hope you sort out your situation soon.
    • Posted

OH no sorry to hear of your recent flare MaryPat hope you feel better soon. My PMR symptoms have been really settled at 1.5 mg prednisolone so was feeling really lucky at the moment however it just goes to show with my dexa scan results that you never know what's lurking underneath!

take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.