Giant cell arteritis

Posted , 7 users are following.

has anyone developed this disorder? I am somewhat frightened that I am developing giant cell arteritis because of my chronic headaches and fading vision. Any information would really bless my life.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No matter where you live, run to the nearest medical facility and ask to have your sed rate and CRP checked. Going blind is a huge concern for GCA. If that is even a possible diagnosis, the doctor will immediately put you on a high dose of steroid to avoid many problems. Keep in touch, Ann11195
  • Posted

Run don't walk to the nearest place and be checked.   This is

critically important........Ann lll95 said it all.....

• Posted

Hello sandra, as the others have said, don't wait to see your GP, get yourself along to a minor injuries unit or A&E and tell them everything. When the headaches started, exactly how your vision is effected, etc. You haven't said how long this has been going on for but you must get it checked out without delay. Do let us know how you get on. Regards, tina

• Posted

GCA is a medical emergency, like a stroke would be.  Let us know how you get on.  Better it be a false alarm than that you lose vision or worse.  
  • Posted

Hi the same thing happen to me last oct. I would lose my vision in my left eye with server head ache and server jaw pain. had a biopsy done of a temporal artertery and was diagionsed with GCA out on a large dose od PRED. The vision problems and pain has been elliminated and I have been able to taper down to 7 mg 

good luck

• Posted

Hi Sandra

Unfortunately that is the first thing we think of when we get headaches and problems with vision. Of course get checked out but your headaches may be due to you straining to see.  Have your eyes checked for cateract (not sure of spelling).  I am having to have surgery on both eyes, first one on the 12th May as the steroids have excellerated them. They may have developed in 10 years without the steroids but they have come on very quickly.  My vision is pretty poor and is having an effect on normal life.

Please get checked.

• Posted

My story too.  I had cataracts for years but eye doc said minimal.

Pred made them "bloom" faster.  I had the first one done March

l6 and the second will be May l8th.  Pretty simple business and

the results are wonderful.  I can read, watch TV,  computer,

all with no sign of glasses and that's just with one eye done.

So you can look forward to seeing things again and colors being so much brighter but one drawback.....I didn't realize my house was so dirty!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.