Retake Prednisone After Vomiting?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took my morning dose of 10 mg at 4:00 am.  At around 5:30 am I awoke, quite nauseous and soon after threw up.

Did the prednisone have enough time to be absorbed or should I adjust my next dose, the early evening dose of 5 mg? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gilman, sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell.

I would say that 1.5 hours is plenty time for your preds to have been absorbed. Anything less than 1 hour is questionable.  If you are worried you could always call the surgery and see what they say, but if you are feeling no different than usual i woiuld have thought you were fine. Regards, Tina

• Posted

Sorry I can't answer that one (others are more knowledgable), but will be interested in the answers.  How long do tablets take to dissolve (i.e. Lodotra, Cocodamol, coated tablets as against uncoated ones, etc? 
    • Posted

Ordinary white non-coated pred should break down in the stomach within about an hour, reaching the peak in the blood within 2 hours - so as Tina says, an hour and ahlf is probably plenty. You would notice quite soon though - you wouldn't get your usual relief.

Enteric coated pred takes much longer. The coating protects it from the gastric acid and it passes on through into the rest of the gut before slowly dissolving. It depends on the gut conditions - how much and what sort of food - how quickly it will be absorbed and different people differ too. It can take anything from 5 to 7 or even 8  hours for the peak level to be reached in the blood.

Lodotra is a special coating which is designed to break down all at once after 4 hours in the right gastric conditions - so you are told to take it at 10pm, within 3 hours of your evening meal. If you didn't eat in the previous 3 hours you should take the tablets with a snack of bread and cheese or ham (well, it is a German company wink  we're talking about).

Most non-coated tablets will break down in an hour or so - but until they start to break down they aren't absorbed so anyone who tells you their pain killer stopped their headache in minutes is experiencing the placebo effect! Soluble/liquid versions are absorbed faster but even they take some time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.