PCOS AND TTV

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

I'm 30 years of age and i haven trying to get pregnant for 4 years but no result until i was diagnose with PCOS 5 months ago and my doctor prescibe metformin 500g for but am scare of taking it, also my period is irregular somtimes 3 to 5 time a year, also very over weight like 86kg please i want ask to ask will metformin help me lose the weight anf regularize my menses.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Metformin is usually used when Clomid has been unsuccessful. Metformin is prescribed to help regulate insulin levels - insulin problems are known to cause PCOS. So when Clomid fails to encourage ovulation, metformin is used to help.

Metformin is not prescribed for weight loss and will not aid with this. You can help regulate your own insulin levels and heighten your chance of becoming pregnant by losing weight, eating healthy and exercise. Avoid smoking too. All of this will raise your chances of becoming pregnant and support your course of medication.

• Posted

I have used clomid for two months and after that the menses still stop coming please advice me more on the PCOS.

• Posted

Hello,

I am 31 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS awhile ago. I finally started regularly take metformin this past January. I have lost 25 lbs which was impossible to do prior to taking it. Metformin does not sit well in your stomach if you eat unhealthy, so if you are serious about treating PCOS then eat healthy while on the meds or you will have bad stomach issues all of the time. If you eat healthy it will aide your body into losing weight. Bananas, grilled chicken, fish, all veggies, all fruits, lean meats, no unnatural sugars or empty carbs.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks very much i start and see the out come of it.

• Posted

I am currently on Metformin i was told by my doctor that its good to regulate periods and also it can help encourage Ovulation and may help towards weight loss too. I have pcos but i been seeing a nurse and trying to loose weight so maybe i can go for IVF but if i am honest with myself i dont think thats goin to work I am 36 37 in june. i am now thinking more towards a mirena coil. as i need summat to sort this out properly as I have been in pain and been bad the last 7 weeks..its no fun for no one being like this but i thought id reply just to let u you your not on your own i gone through this for years and still no closer to making this stop.  hope you can get some answers. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.