Serious side effects on fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone ,

I am on week 4 on 20mg fluoxetine for Anxiety and Panic attacks and I have a very hard time . I ended up in ED several times with palpitations , high heart rate , pins and needles all over body , panic attacks . I am nauseous all the time , lost of appetite but the last symptom I got is unbearable . I get these pins and needles and heat in my hands and chest that really scare me thinking is something wrong with my heart . I was wondering if anyone had so many physical side effects on fluoxetine and if you think I should continue . Thanks for your help in advance ....

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi lili,

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but those sound like they exceed what you'd call "normal" side effects. For most people, their anxiety gets worse before it starts getting better and it seems to happen most often by the second and third week. I would say contact your doctor to weigh your options.

Is this your first anti-depressant? Sometimes people have to try different one until they find one that works. It may be that it needs more time to get start working, or it may be that Flux may not be the right one for you.

• Posted

Thanks for reply ....

I have been on the same antidepressant 3 years ago , but then I also used Xanax , so I was asleep for 8 weeks . I remembered being nauseous and vomiting but not all these skin sensations . They drove me crazy ....

• Posted

You could always give it a bit more time if it worked for you before and just ride out the storm til you get there. I would ask your doctor about beta blockers for the next few weeks to ease the panic and anxiety.

Personally I had to get of the fluox after 8 weeks as I found it too activating and was worse than when I started, so I'm on a more sedating SSRI now and doing well in week 3. But chances are if fluox worked before it will work again. smile

• Posted

Thanks for encouragement ! I do suffer from health anxiety so I guess that you can see how all these side effects contributed to my believe that something is horrible wrong with my body . My doctor said to take 2mg of Valium in the morning and 2 mg in the afternoon but I do not see to much relief from it . I am better in the afternoons ....

I will see what he will have to say next week and change on something with less side effects .....

• Posted

Yeah it could be that you need to try something else this time around. Hope you start feeling better soon, but just try to be positive and know that you will recover! It will happen!
  • Posted

Hi there Lili, me too. I also ended up in ED 4 times with all those kind of symptoms. Speak to your Dr again. For me I had to stop after 4 1/2 weeks I felt like my anxiety was off the chart, the worst I have ever felt and that episode has left me with a fear of medication. I do go to therapy and that has helped. It's really down to how you feel and do you want to try some other prescribed meds ? Best of luck with everything. Hang in there, you will get through it.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hi Elaine ,

It is just horrendous what is happening with my body . I am also scared to try another medication after this episode ...Therapy is a great idea . I will go back to work on Monday , let's hope I can pull through it . Thank you for your support .

• Posted

No problem, hang in there. You will get there. The therapy has helped me, hope it works for you.cheesygrin
  • Posted

I just started feeling better after almost a month. I had severe anxiety in week 3, I have also had times where I've felt really angry, and really crazy.

I am taking fluoxetine for depression and ocd, I think because you are already extremely anxious it is worse for you. Talk to a doctor to make sure your heart is OK, but you are probably just having severe anxiety.

I would keep taking it, I believe you will feel better soon. Just hang in there a bit longer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.