Exercise induced GERD/LPR, does this happened to you?

Posted , 17 users are following.

My acid reflux is brought on mostly by exercise, I keep trying to exercise but it just makes me sicker and weaker. I have not had any tests yet other than my Dr telling me I have GERD and I am taking Omeprazole 40mg. My breathing is also affected so I can't take a deep breath, and it seems to also close up in my esophagus if I really push the exercise. Can anyone relate to this problem?

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes to everything but the exercise. I can't exercise now, too weak from being sick, but I have Gerd that goes into my esophagus and makes my throat sore. Hard to eat. Getting tests done beginning of next month. You should probably get an endoscopy done too. 
  • Posted

Since I was diagnosed with LPR, I skipped heavy exercise. What I am doing is just walking. It's making me feel good so far especially in the morning with the sun's first rays.
    • Posted

My exercise wasn't heavy, I would walk on a treadmill at 3.5 for 30min, and just kept getting sicker and sicker. I pushed the treadmill exercise uphill and then got real sick. I couldn't breathe, I do not have asthma, was nauseous constantly, lump in throat, bloated, hoarse voice, couldn't clear throat, and lost 10 lbs.The Omeprazole is helping, but like debbie75601 said, I need an endoscopy. I just have never heard anyone else have their symptoms come from walking. Thanks for responding.
    • Posted

Can an ache/pain in throat be due to LPR/acid etc? Lately when I walk only few yard briskly, I get this achy/pain dis comfort in throat. Had tummy probs over yrs & diagnosed as ibs, tried various stuff eg all ppis etc & not much good. Always soooooooo bloated. GP querying angina?????? cos throat pain, so fed up xxxxx
    • Posted

Yes it can, my throat felt a small sharp pain on the left side, I had horrible mucus, what felt like a lump in my throat, I could hardly swallow. I take PPI's and thank goodness they did help me. I get bloated when I eat I feel huge in my stomach. I eat very little now and space it a few hours apart and I still have a bloated stomach. I feel like food from four days ago is still with me. I feel for you having to go through all of this bs, but hopefully there is an answer for you. I just had my first endoscopy on June 9, I have moderate gastris in stomach and duodenum, a hiatal hernia, and esophagitis. I am waiting for the biopies on the report to know if they found anything else. You are more than welcome to ask me any LPR questions anytime, please keep me informed of your progress and tests.
  • Posted

Make sure your stomach has had time to empty before undertaking exercise other than brisk walking.

Any jogging movement will shake the stomach contents into the oesophagus. Stomach crunching will push contents back up as will bending.

• Posted

I exercise with an empty stomach when I first get up in the morning. Overeating brings it on also, but I have learned not to do that anymore. I want to exercise to keep my body healthy but it is so frustrating when I am trying to do something good for me and it is making me sick.
    • Posted

My main problem for months was constant nausea daily from waking, put me off food, just had tea and oat biscuit, lost 2stone, The more l moved the worse the nausea got, lve not been into exercise for a long time, but just trying to do household jobs a nightmare, walking bending, so it was do 5min at a time then sit and wait 20min till it settled a bit, as for shopping even worse.  l,d notice before nausea started l,d get full feeling very easy, bloated and uncomfortbable with small snack. Later even if settled a bit in evening, had to eat small plain meals or bloating and belching, movement of any sort became an endurance, horrible time, but with weight loss and debility it does need a scope to see problems.   Finally a scope showed a bit of gastritus, though gastrologist ws puzzled at severity of nausea with it,  But put me on omprazole, 20mg a day,and that did settle it quite well, 90percent, but did find after a while that 20mg didnt keep it settled, so took one morning and evening, and that keeps it under control most of the time, still have small plain meal diet, no lactose, no processed food, no tinned, fried, rich or spicy.  Massive relief to not have the nausea to live with constantly.  Good luck 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your input, you are the first to really have the symptoms I have. Yes, the more or faster I walk the sicker I get. Does it bother your breathing too? I can't take a deep breath, and the sometimes it just tightens up so bad, that even laying down doesn't help.

I have been refinishing my house for a few years and when I use a hand saw or machinery that may vibrate like a sawsal, or sander I get sick.  Now that I have found someone with the same symptoms please don't disappear on me. 

• Posted

hi, There are a few of us on mbs who have nausea that gets worse with any movement, its really soul destroying, more so when even gastrologist cant or doesnt really explain it, l,m sure someone in medicals must understand it.  It can affect my breathing but l do have asthma anyway, just makes it worse, also for me on just lying down. 

When l had it at its very worst quite a while since, l found just turning over in bed maybe my nausea lurch.  l wondered if it was somehow also related to ear problems, as l do also get tinnitus and have had vertigo, a couple of times labrinthitus, complete loss of balance. But you would think that would be understood by experts, all l know at present the omprazole is keeping it under control 90percent, be it lve had to double to dose, but have read of others on up to 80mg a day, l,d hope that someone in meds will find cause in future. If yuo do get to see gastrologist and have scope with him suggesting cause, please post up. Good luck with it honestly, hope you dont have to put up with it much longer, gets you down big time when it goes on and on, 

• Posted

Thank you again for replying to my comments, everyone on here is so helpful. Your symptoms seem to be very close to mine and that is so comforting as I have been searching for twenty years for this to happen.

Twenty years ago I became very ill after joining an exercise club, I was riding a stationary bike when I got so sick and my breathing became so hard I couldn't finish. I just went home, feeling somewhat better the next day I returned to try again, and just couldn't do anything  for more than a few min. Not knowing this had anything to do with acid reflux as I had already been diagnosed with Lupus (later, found not to be true), I kept pursuing things from an autoimmune disease aspect. Was then diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but never really fit in that group either as I have no pain. There is no definitive test for that so it again was more of ruling out other diseases. But kept pursuing that avenue.  Breathing tests and heart tests have been done between one and five times, twice this year already. So I am very happy to say I don't have asthma or heart problems of any kind.      Being frustrated and wanting to preserve what health I have left I keep trying to exercise, day one of exercise is always good, day two not sure, day three breathing starts to tighten and I give up, well this time I thought maybe if I just push through the breathing hard enough it will open up.  Well, it didn't and I wanted my Dr to see what I look like when I can't breathe so I went in to see her. Being she is a new this is only the second time she saw me, but right away she said you have more than one thing going on here and I think you have acid reflux or GERD, not real familiar with it, I really didn't believe her. She was asking me if I get heartburn and I said not too often but I have and it feels awful. She gave me 40mg-Omeprazole, 20mg-Prednisone for 5 days, and 600mg-Mucinex twice a day for 5 days.    When I went home and looked all of this up I was in shock! She was right on and then I found these sites where for the first time in twenty years someone else has what I have. My eyes were opened, and when I now can see back 20/20 is very clear to what my medical issue is. I have probably had this long before twenty years ago.  It was just under the radar and never exposed long enough for anyone to see the symptoms and diagnose me correctly because I don't have the usual heartburn, I don't go to bed with a full stomach (learned that long ago, hmm?) and it was just never caught.  My symptoms from the beginning were, I can't take a deep breath, and if I push it it just seems to lock up, and then even lying down doesn't help me breathe better, I get very dizzy mostly upon standing, nauseous, numb hands after I try exercising. and body gets cold after exercising.  I am always cold. This time after pushing the exercising, I had all of these symptoms, plus lump in throat, tons of mucus/phlegm, hard to swallow, extremely nauseous to the point of running to the bathroom to think I will throw up but then just gag on the phlegm.   Now from what everyone is saying on here, I need to have an endoscopy. is it better to see an ENT or GI? I have an appointment with my GP on Tues. hopefully, we can get something set up. I wanted to go to the Mayo as my insurance covers it but I wouldn't be able to get in until mid-summer.  I will take any input anyone can give me.      

• Posted

I have almost all your symptoms, as I have stated earlier. I am nauseous daily, hard to eat, and have, for many years, upon exertion of any kind, get very red and sweaty, perspire profusely, breathing difficulties, and have to sit or lay down. I have been extremely ill since January, went to hospital, diagnosed with Gerd and gallstones, had gallbladder removed, and am still sick. Seen several doctors, no answers yet. Having the endoscopy and colonoscopy done this month. I believe the GI doctor sounds like a start for you, but that's just my opinion. 
    • Posted

On top of being nauseated  all the time, you had to have an operation too? You poor thing, The Omeprazole at least helped with nausea for me, but it i time to have an endoscopy to know what I am dealing with. Do you have to work, I gave up and retired early this past year at 62, I didn't want to but am tired of fighting being sick and working. I hope for your sake you find an answer with the endoscopy and colonoscopy. I have had a colonoscopy a few years ago, if you have never had one, it is not a big deal like some people make it sound. I hope you feel better soon and please stay connected on here. 
    • Posted

Yes, I was so sick, and was being told this was why, so I just wanted it out. Was not the answer! I just want this all to be over! It all came on suddenly, nausea, dizziness, headache, eye problems, digestive problems, tremors, weakness, fatigue...the list goes on. I was given Zofran for the nausea, but haven't taken it in awhile   I'm not working, I quit April 2014. Thank goodness, there is no way I could work now, I'm basically on my couch all day! I will stay in touch, you do the same please! 
    • Posted

Again many of your symptoms sound like me, and l know the couch feeling, spent more time on mine in last few month than last 60yrs, did you check out fibro, you can get most of those symptoms with it, including gastric disturbances, and other symptoms you mention, plus more, some obscure ones, heightened sense of smell, food cravings, carbs, choc, l also get tremory. sorer eyes thirst, but fatigue and sleep disturbances worst.   l hope youve a good dr or it could take an age to get diagnoses, no definitive test, and so many now getting these immune condiitons, drs overwhelmed and referrals difficult, l,d to have officious chat with practis manager to get referal to rheumy one gp wondered if l needed to know diagnoses, duh.   Keep posting with any further info answers. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I tested positive for ANA, so just waiting to see the rheumatologist for official diagnosis. I will look up that site and keep you posted. 
    • Posted

Cheryl, I am also experiencing these symthoms. Every single one of them. I started 2yrs ago, with a lump in my throat, as tho a hugh bug crawled down my throat. I cleared my throat so much I gave myself a severe infection in my tonsils. Took predisone, antibiotics and pain pills and it got better. Ever since this incident, I've had nothing but worsening symptoms. Severe fatigue,brain fog,body aches and pains,numbness in my limbs, off & on sharp pain in my finger tips, coughing clear slimy phlegm & mucus that looks like snot, sinus drainage, loss of appetite, feeling of the mucus & phlegm aspirating into my lungs when I breath, difficulty swollowing, I use to sing, I can't anymore, due to hoarse voice, one time I couldn't talk at all. Periodically I will get sores on my tougne, very painful. My mouth always dry, unless I consume a enormous amount of water everyday. This has taken a toll on my relationship and my income, doctors are clueless. My labs are all normal. Endoscopy images claim hyatial hernia, and acid reflux. REALLY???? just that?? I doubt it. Is there anyone else dealing with this? Sure would like to know.

• Posted

Hi Karen, I didn't think reflux could cause so much trouble but when I read about it and put it all together it is remaining how far this can affect different areas of your body. Do you have LPR? When my GP told me this is what I have I really didn't believe her because it just sounded so simple and I was too sick for just this. Well after reading about it it really can make you sick. I get so weak I can hardly stand up when it is bad. The dizziness alone sends me back to bed. I can't breathe (main issue) and am so tired I can't move. I have sat more in the last few months have I have my entire life. The brain fog is so frustrating for me. 

Was singing a career for you? 

When mine was at its worst I had the phlegm so bad that I just spit it out as it was too hard to swallow. My throat is as dry as toast as one girl on here put it, and just to prove to myself that I was drinking enough water (even though I knew I was) I measured it and drank two gallons a day so when my Dr said maybe you aren't drinking enough water I had proof that I was and this was not the reason my throat was dry. Turns out it was LPR and that is why it is so dry. You sound like me with the hoarse voice, I feel like I sound like a twenty-year smoker and I have never smoked. My labs have been normal too but Endoscopy showed HH and gastritis.  it sounds like you think you have more going on, is there a direction that seems right to you that your Dr is not taking? This is also frustrating I have spent twenty years looking in the wrong direction because mine was looked at more in the autoimmune disease category. So I continued to push that direction also, still don't know if I have Fibromyalgia or not, but I do I know I have LPR. I sure hope you can get some answers it is so awful to live sick every day.  Please keep writing maybe we will get it figured out yet.

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl for the reply.. I feel relieved to know I'm not alone. I wanted to tell you that my pc diagnosed me with fibromiagia as well. I refuse to take Lyrical and Cymbalta, and any Gaba's, because I've heard horrible things happen to people, whom have taken these drugs. Not just hear sake, I've spoken to 2 people that have had life threatening reactions to these meds. So DO YOUR RESEARCH... before taking these. You asked if there is another direction I'm taking. Well there is now, I just found out at 4yrs old that I have a congenital heart deformity. This came as a hugh suprise to me. I have a (Abbarrant right sub-C artery) for short... I have an artery in the wrong place. So I looked this condition up and saw pictures, this artery go's behind the esphogual and leans to the left. Well it leans right on my esphoguas. So this could be causing all these problems. Look it up. It's called, ARSA. read what can happen to people that have ASRA. The symthoms are so close to LPR, it's ridiculous. And perhaps the cause of LPR. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this, but I saw a cardiac surgeon and he is ready to do surgery to get that artery off my esphoguas, but I'm scard. I still have some research to do before I go thru with that procedure, but for an adult, it's very rare to have symptoms from ASRA, but it happens. I did not sing for a living yet, but I was heading that way. I love to sing, it is my therapy. And now I need it the most, I can't do it. I'm hoping I'm almost at the end of this long and winding road, I can only pray. I'm tired and fatigue all the time,sometimes I can barley do small chores around the house, let alone anything else. I had to quit my job because of the symthoms, and the brain fog is ridiculous, and the hacking up phlegm is getting on my family's nerves. My 8yr old won't let me kiss him anymore because he is grossed out by me spitting all the time. I don't blame him. He is hesitant to bring friends home to meet his mom, he's embarrassed to go places with me, he doesn't act mean about it because he truly loves his mama, but I can tell. And my two older daughters crack jokes about me hacking and spitting all the time. And my boyfriend, was suppose to propose to me last year and get married this year.... nothing yet... I can't tell you how angry and frustrated I am over this. But I keep praying that God will give me the answer soon. And I will pray for you too.. this is torture.. ttys..

• Posted

Hi Karen, How did you just find out of this ARSA you were born with, that had to be a jolt. I looked it up and you are right about the symptoms, it sounds like it may actually be causing the LPR but it will be cured if you have that operation. It has to be very scary for you to make the decision to have surgery. Wouldn't it be nice however if it cured this crapy LPR. The brain fog for me is like living under a low dark cloud you just can't break away from it. 

You had a couple of other atypical symptoms with your limbs being numb, I get this because I feel I can't breathe and get so cold, I also get Raynaud's in my fingers and toes. Do you think your limb numbness is from lack of oxygen also? What do you think causes the pain in your fingertips? 

It sounds like you knew there was more to your story and I think you are on the right track to figuring this out.  I commend you for taking it a step further and not accepting the initial diagnosis. I once had a very wise Dr that said if you just let the patient talk and you just listen they will tell you what is wrong. I believe you are heading in the right direction.  Sorry, it took me so long to reply but had a bit going on this week. Please, please, stay in touch with me. I want to hear your journey and hopefully a great resolution.  I wish you all the luck! 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

What test they conducted on you to diagnose congenital heart deformity?

I don't have the same problems ( I do have some) but I'm curious. ;-)

• Posted

Much of your story sounds familiar. I was diagnosed with CFS over 20 years ago but some symptoms that are considered a given just didn't fit. I don't have fibromyalgia. I would tell every Dr I saw that my lungs felt like they were made of canvas. I would be given heart tests but the results were always normal. That is not a typical CFS symptom. Last spring my shortness of breath got so bad that I saw my GP and she sent me to an ENT for testing. He saw vocal cord issues, sent me to a speech therapist and I am new to my LPRD diagnosis. Trying to fit together the pieces of the puzzle, and do the next best thing for treatment and improvement. The last few days have been difficult. A quick trip to the grocery store left me exhausted. I am on protonix and what I read about long term usage of that scares me. Nausea, stomach pain, burny throat, are still fairly minor but getting worse. I have read on line and modified my diet, raised the head of my bed with risers, do diaphragm breathing exercises, and yet I don't feel improvement yet. I am beginning to think CFS was not my issue at all. I am not sure what to try next since I have had the scope already but I really don't know why my symptoms are getting worse. Like others have said, I have tried exercise repeatedly for the last 20 yrs and would get excited, only to end up sick and having to give up. I did find a lot of relief about 15 years ago with dietary changes which I have followed ever since. I love my GP and trust her. She wisely saw the connection between my shortness of breath and esophageal issues and had me tested. Reading these entries is a true gift because I know I am not alone in this journey. Thanks to everyone. 

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I just tested positive for ANA last week and was wondering what your rheumatologist said-- I saw that positive ANA could be cause by omezaprole--also realize you wrote this over a year ago , how is your LPR ? I'm awaiting further blood tests from my internist and I am tapering ppi on my own but still on zantac and suffering from post nasal drip and discomfort . I will appreciate any advice you can give me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.