(GERD?) Spot pain in upper abdomen and throat. Please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

It all started 2 years ago. I had severe stomach pain in the upper abdomen and the doctor treated me with Omeprazole. It subsided and I thought I would be fine.

But then again something else started, Whenever I ate spicy food, I had a severe burning sensation in my chest and stomach.So,  I cut down on spicy food.

But then it started to burn for other bland food too. I then treated myself with Rabeprazole and Rantidine. Then everything went away and I felt relieved.

I still occassionally ate spicy food and processed food.

And now, Again, It all came back with more symptoms sad

I get heartburn and I'm getting these Oesophageal Spasms and slight pain at the end of my food pipe, just below my chest and the starting of the stomach.

I feel like I am getting a burp but they dont come out and sometimes they do come out.

And right after eating I get sour burps with some acid coming back up.

I also occassionally get this spot pain on my upper abdomen, It's focused only on one spot.

Is this symptoms of GERD? Is this self treatable with Ranitidine/Omeprazole? Do I require an Endoscopy?

Please help me decide what to do. I am scared to go to a Gastroenterologist or get an Endoscopy.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do not scare og going to endoscopy. Now it is safer than years ago. I have done one more time. To me the symptoms are REFLUX. Try to eat slowly, chew quickly can cause those symptoms. You may need Nexium. Go to doctor and see what he says. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi I to seem to be having a flare up at the moment also , similar to yourself , I recently had a diet change which is probably the reason for me, but go see your doctor and voice your concerns .  I pushed for the endoscopy which was no hassle at all just to put my mind at rest , still taking omerprazole which at the moment isn't doing a great lot at the mo . Go see your gp I think stressing doesn't help anyone with reflux , probably haven't really answered your question but your not on your own . Hope you get things sorted..
  • Posted

Hi Matt! There are a few things you can try, that have worked for me and helped me avoid surgery. As I've said in previous messages to other people with similar problems, if your problem is caused  by an over-production of mucus, which it may very well be, cut right down on milk and milk productus, like milk chocolate, as these cause the mucus to thicken. I used an infusion of thistle roots to reduce the amount of mucus being made. I used to get stomach pain from acid and found Nulacin tablets which you can buy over the counter and taste a bit like Horlicks. As for the reflux, eating an apple helped a lot. I've hadalmost no trouible at all for years, using the above techniques. They are of course harmless, even if they don't work, and virtually free. No guarantees, but no harm intrying them. For excess wind and bloating, carbon granules in capsules from H and B absorb the gas. They are used in the filters in gas masks and again can be bought over the counter. Good luck and I hope this helps. Best regards, Chris.
  • Posted

Its best to see a doctor. But while waiting to see a doctor, avoid eating a large meal, just small frequent meals of vegetables and fruits except for citrus. Take probiotics
  • Posted

Hi Matt ,

The endoscopy is not pleasant , its not at all painful , but it is over within 5 minutes , if you are at all worried about what is going on inside I recomend you see Gastroenterologist and find out whats going on . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.