Had a migraine with babbled speech,scared!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had migraines for years, i have been fortunate in that they have not been too frequent and so not impaired my life too much.

Typically it will be a visual aura alone or a headache then visual aura at some point in the next 24 hours, last night i had the most dreadful headache, mostly affecting the right side of my head,eye socket and ear area,this morning the pain was gone.

I still felt groggy but otherwise okay,went grocery shopping with husband,was talking fine then found i could barely string a word together, when i did speak it was babbled,nonsense words, i couldn't think of the words to describe simple things and then i could but it was all coming out wrong like made up words.

We got me back to the car, within seconds i had developed a visual aura but my speech had improved and 20 minutes later i felt fine, just tired and washed out.

I have only had one migraine with speech problems before and that was years ago, the doctor at the time reassured me that it was part of the migraine process.

However this morning has scared me, I am fine now, speaking fluently again,vision all good etc but can't convince myself it was a migraine, i really don't want to sit in a&e for hours especially now that my symptoms have gone aside from the tired,groggy feeling.

Does anyone else get this? I will of course speak to my gp when i can but i am scared in case i'm about to have a stroke.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bella

I've had migraines all my life too.

I think sometimes the pressure in our heads, that cause it in the first place!

Although certain foods trigger it off!

I think it's to do with the blood flow in our bodies half the time too.

I think you should just put your mind at rest, and go for another chat with your doctor.

I would personally get a head scan, as you found yourself babbling.

You don't say how old you are, but I would personally go back to your doctor, for further investigation.

God bless 😀👍

• Posted

Thank you, I will definitely speak to my doctor about it again, I am 39 although was only mid 20's the first time I had babbled speech with a migraine, since then I have had plenty of migraines but no speech issues until today.

I am under a huge amount of stress at the moment so can understand the migraine itself but it was the speech part that scared me, thankfully it didn't last long but definitely worth another chat with my doctor.

• Posted

Hi bellaluna.as a migraine sufferer for over 30 years ive had the same problem as you with my speech im finding my migraine can change pattern at any stage.my latest one lasting over a month and the tiredness is unreal.i wouldnt worry about it too much if i was you but have a chat with ur doctor to put ur mind at rest.good luck with it.x
  • Posted

Hi bellaluna, I can't offer any advice regarding this but I have experienced the exact thing and my neurologist said he thinks it's migraines and he sent me for an MRI which I had done last weekend and waiting for my follow up appointment. Hopefully it is just another side effect of the migraines and you don't get it recurring to often because I personally feel embarrassed when it happens to me. Good luck Kate x
    • Posted

Hi Kate, I do think it was a migraine especially as it happened once before but obviously it's a worry and you want to know that nothing else is wrong, I hope your results come back all okay, I know what you mean about feeling embarassed, I was so grateful that we were in the self service area of the shop because no way could I have interacted with a cashier and I have anxiety and social anxiety too so it would have been awful x
    • Posted

Since the first episode of my speech going gobbledygook I often get episodes of stuttering or can't find the word which has really started to irritate me but all I can do is wait and see what the neuro says. He didn't really here me out last time just went off to say he thinks it's migraine with aura because I lost the vision in my eye on a few occasions for around an hour, I hoping when I go back he will listen to me! Sounds like you had a lucky escape being on the self service area though. If you get some rest hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow smile x
    • Posted

Thank you, I feel a lot better than I did aside from that groggy washed out feeling and ear whistle that I always get with my migraines...oh and I have managed to give myself a full blown panic attack by convincing myself that a stroke is imminent, not a good idea, should have spoken to my doctor first.

I'm sorry the neouro dodn't hear you out properly, it's obviously very concerning for a person when they go through something like this and you really want to know the definite cause, I hope he listens properly when you go back, my vision was lost within minutes of the speech going and I must admit it was very typical migraine aura type vision, the kind I would normally just sleep off but in this case I was too worried and was testing my speech and making my husband test my reflexes too.

Good luck with your appointment x

• Posted

Hi BellaLuna,

The symptoms you describe are all part of a migrain called Hemaplegic Migraine, the stroke like symptoms are typical and if it develops you can even go paralysed down one side of your body.  This is what I get sometimes.

You need to see a neurologist for full investigation and maybe you can try Botox, which is what I have and its made a huge difference.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

• Posted

Thank you, I read a bit about Hemaplegic migraine earlier, I didn't feel too weak but did feel a bit heavy down one side and it definitely fits with the speech problem, it's a very scary experience.

I will ask my doctor about further tests to rule out anything else though and then ask about other possible treatments if it is confirmed to be migraine.

All I have now is a groggy feeling and a blocked, whistling feeling in one ear but I get that with every migraine I have so not too worried about that symptom.

By nature I am a very anxious person and worry a lot, I was going to go to hospital there and then but the visual aura kicked in and I thought 'Ah right, migraine' but I am still scared that I'm about to have a stroke, I know that sounds incredibly hypocondriac of me but I do worry.

I have an appointment already booked with my gp for something else but will see if it can be brought forward in light of what happened today.

• Posted

when I get HM I always have to go to hospital by ambulance in case it is a stroke.  They check me over and then I have to have phsyiotherapy to re learn my brain how to walk again,  But you are right it is scary.

You need MRI at the very least to determine if anything more serious is going on.

NAG your GP else they do tend to fob you off

• Posted

Oh gosh that sounds absolutely terrifying for you! I was so fortunate in that it passed quickly for me and currently I feel fine in terms of walking, functioning and moving around, just groggy and scared.

I am scrutinising things a lot though, I know in my reply to Kate that I made some spelling errors, didn't proof read it and now I think I must be having a stroke but to be fair I am always making spelling errors and failing to proof read things properly especially when I am worrying about things/stressed out.

I will nag my GP though, I want to be very certain that what happened today was the side effect of a migraine and that there isn't something more serious going on.

• Posted

He will agree that you should always go to hospital to be checked out if it happens again.

Sometimes I have even been taken into the resus area of A and E because to beigin with they really dont know whats going on.  All I know is I can barely talk, my face is frozen and the left side of my body goes vertually paralysed, my ear feels like it will explode and then I get sever eye pain and photophobia

• Posted

It is made worse if you are stressed badly or worrying a lot.  Last year I spent every other week in hospital due to various factors, then my Mum passed away and that hit me so badly. it just made HM so much worse, I needed prolonged counselling to get over things
    • Posted

Thank you, if it does happen agan before I will go to A&E, I did consider it today but the symptoms were gone in 20 minutes and I thought they would brush me off a bit if I presented with no symptoms.

Yours sounds absolutely dreadful, thankfully my face did not freeze and I had no paralysis, if that was the case I there would have been no hesitation in going there, my ear was awful all day but I have just yawned and it popped and cleared, typically that does happen with my migraines.

I'm sorry to hear that you had so much stress and had to go through losing your mum, I can imagine that it would certainly be more than enough to make your migraines a lot worse, I had a nervous breakdown about 5 months ago, no real trigger but constantly worried and stressing so I can understand my migraines happening but really need to make sure the speech issue is a side effect of that and not something more serious.

• Posted

Bella.

Very frightening for you.  I have had migraines since I was about 10 years old.  At that time I would have eye disturbances, the headache and be sick.  As I have aged the symptoms have increased.  Now it is eye disturbance, headache, sickness, numbness and cold down my right arm, numbness to my tongue, a mental fog where I cannot remember words etc, like you.  Sickness and then feeling drained for the next day or so.  I also have no memory during that brain fog period ie I've not remembered what someone has said to me etc.  The GP and Neurologist don't have any problems with these symptoms.  I also want to add that I have another form of migraine which I didn't realise was a migraine until I had been suffering for 5+years.  These have none of the extras only the headache and can last for up to 5 days.  I hope you get relief from these dreadful headaches.  I have been through everything from epilepsy drugs to .... for me Rizatriptan and Naratriptan work, when taken at the first sign of an attack.  Thankfully the first type don't happen often but the second  I have for 11 to 15 days per month.  The first I know most of the triggers, however 4 Neurologists have been unable to find the cause of the second type.  I wish you luck with your exploration of your attack and hope you can find some relief.

• Posted

Thank you ali, yours sound like absolute hell and I am sorry that you suffer so much with them, like you I first experienced migraines as a child but back then I had sickness,headache and blurred vision, none of these other symptoms though and the visual blur was never as severe as it is when I get it now.

It used to be a summer thing for me and was a pain in my teenage years too, then they went away and returned in my 20's but this time with a whole host of new and nastier symptoms.

I must say I have been very lucky in frequency as an adult sufferer, I have gone 6 months between migraines at times, recently though since my stress has increased it has been about once a month, GP was satisfied that the frequency was stress related so I didn't worry.

I have never tried any prescription medications for them because they were never frequent enough to cause too much of an issue but if it keeps on like this I will have to and of course it's important to rule out other things and explore all possible causes even though I am pretty sure stress is the main culprit.

It was truly very frightening, these things can cause the most alarming symptoms and it can be really hard to believe that they are not harmful, thank you for the reply and I hope you too find relief and the cause of your second type can be found and hopefully resolved too.

• Posted

BellaLuna,

we support each other on here, so try not to be frightened, in many cases they find nothing on MRI scan, so although they seem very scary, they are made worse when worry.

Just let us know how you get on and if you feel scared let us know, because we support each other.

Good luck and take care

• Posted

Thank you so much, it's very daunting to be faced with a MRI scan and you do tend to think of all of the worst case scenarios but hopefully it wont be anything serious.

I will definitely let you all know how I get on.

• Posted

Hello Bella

Just try to keep calm if you don't have these episodes frequently, I wouldn't be too worried. But definitley get an MRI scan, to know for sure, that everything is working in order.

I just wondered if you are more stressed than usual, you could try and do some mind relaxing techniques, it's called being kind to yourself. Reaching into yourself by breathing and focusing on all parts of your body from top to bottom.

It certainly relaxes you!

I use it for my back problem, I have scoliosis in my lower back. My headaches can be severe with my back problem at times. But if you don't have a back problem yourself, you can rule out anything serious in that dept.

But foods can be a trigger too.

Citrus, cheese,chocolate, Alcohol and those strip lights.not enough sleep.

So if you think it could be one of these triggers Aswell, sit and think what you might be doing, and eating.

Before you think the worst!!

Liz👍😀

• Posted

Thank you, I will definitely get the scan to be on the safe side but I agree with what you say about the relaxation, in fact I am seeing a therapist at the moment about a lot of my stress and anxiety related issues and that was this week's task.

I have done a bit but nowhere near as much as I should have done because so much has been going on so I really do need to make time to put more effort into that, it would hugely benefit me in more ways than one.

I also have a bit of a problem with eating, I lack appetite but after losing weight I found I couldn't stop myself losing even more, I am not underweight at this point, my BMI is 19 but I do eat very moderate amounts, now sometimes that is not so bad but others I may exercise and feel really hungry but not allow myself anymore food.

My doctor has referred me to therapy for that too which I agree I need and I can see that having a low or erratic blood sugar level could certainly worsen migraine, yesterday for example I worked out, I  use fitbit and it said I should eat 400 extra calories but I couldn't do it and by evening I was very hungry so that may well have kicked it all off.

I will try keeping a diary to see if there are any patterns when it happens and obviously I will be seeing my doctor and following up on all of the therapy I need for my other issues because it does make sense that they would all contribute to the migraine problems.

• Posted

Exercise and migraines are well known.  I am a personal trainer and I struggle with this issue.  Getting the calorie intake right to the exercise you are doing is not always easy.  maybe you already know about high and low glycemic index foods, if not just let me know and I can help you with this issue.  Also rest in exercise plans are just as imprortant as the exercise itself.

The MRI scan can be a bit noisy but try to relax when you have it as if you are going to sleep.

Shout if you need anymore advice

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.