Omeprazole and anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi wondering if anyone can help, I have been having very bad acid reflux probably for about a year or so. I was prescribed with omeprazole 20mg a day and i had taken it off and on for a few months. I came off for a while and the symptoms came back so I went on it regularly for a few months. I now take 20mg twice a day. I now certainly for the last couple of months have been suffering with palpitations, anxiety, panic attacks when I go out, dizziness and even blacked out a few months ago. Not really put the medication as a possible side effect but after reading the comments on here I'm not so sure now. I'm going to stop tomorrow and see if these feelings ease. It's got to the point now where I'm afraid to leave the house because of these anxiety and have recently been treated with an anti depressant.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My panic attacks started disappearing about a week after stopping the meds. I had all the same symptoms you had.

Never wanted to leave the house it was horrible.

Dizzy spells that were constantly happening were gone after 2 weeks. They got better after 5 days.

• Posted

If you need a PPI, you should take it continuosly, not off and on. But you also need to be under the supervision of a doctor.

If omeprazole is causng the symtoms you describe, ask to switch to a different one, eg lansoprazole.

There are many PPIs and all are as effective when taken in equivaent dose but some patients don't tolerate particular ones.

• Posted

I am back on Omeprazole after trying for a while taking first 75 mg of Rantinidine, then 150, twice a day and still having burning stomach, relux, etc.   So, my doctor put me back on 20 mg a day, and I feel good again.  I have anxiety, but honestly have had this all my life, as well as palpitations off and on, pretty much all my life, so I really can't say I can blame this drug on that.  Guess the best you can do is talk to your doctor.  I do take 500 mg of magnesium a day, and a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, and omega 3's, and drink calcium and vitamin D fortified orange juice every day.  
  • Posted

Yet another victim of the Omeprazole, ok so maybe as Barretts said if you need them then switch to another brand but what i dont get is after so many suffering from your symptoms then why  not give another type in the first place. it should be clear by now the Omeprazole are not good. With my mother they interacted with her other meds clopidogrel working that were life saving, i watched her deteriating before my eyes, thank goodness i could use the internet and made my discovery on there that she should never have been given the Omeprazole in the first place!  Had to take her down the doctors and tell her what id found, then she checked it out for herself and said yes your right it does say this, took mum off them them, the Omeprazole straight away. Not everyone can use a computer so wonder how many other victims are out there suffering. 
    • Posted

Hear you are incase anyone else is taking both the Do NOT use clopidogrel if:

you are allergic to any ingredient in clopidogrel

you have an active bleeding problem (eg, bleeding stomach ulcer, bleeding in the brain)

you are taking dabigatran or certain proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) (eg, omeprazole, esomeprazole)

Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.