How long does it take for your LPR symptoms to resolve?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm have been suffering for LPR for more than 5 months now. It took awhile for me to look for proper meds as I have adverse reactions from PPI. I was put on famotidine for 2 weeks now and I have also made major diet changes. I have some improvements but the throat pain, on the left side still lingers. How long did it take for your symptoms to resolve? Thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi , 

Sorry to hear of your reaction to PPI , Ive had Reflux and now Hiatus Hernia for many years and taking PPI for about 12 years , Ive tried diet changes and several different PPI , Omeprazole , Pantaprazole , Ranitadine ,and now Esomeprazole with quite a bit of Gaviscon , It eleviates my symptoms enough to manage but I still get a lot of annoying Phlegm , blocked and runny nose , sneezing , chest pain etc . I am awaiting an apointment to have Fundiplication surgery to fix it for good as it is all starting to get me down now .

Good luck with yours and I do hope you can resolve your symptoms with meds and diet ..

Margaret.

• Posted

Have you noticed is it just when you wake up or anytime. If it's when you wake up.  This might seem wierd but have you thought about "are you sleeping with your mouth open just a bit". I've had LPR for quiet some time and I noticed that when I woke up in the morning's or would take a nap my throat would be a little sore when I woke up. I never noticed this problem until I started fighting the Acid Reflux. As I started getting the LPR under control I noticed my throat sore but usually after waking up. I'm just throwing that out there. 
    • Posted

Hi Mack ,

Im thinking maybe 2 things can be causing sore throat in the morning ... 1- yes mouth open while sleeping .. due to blocked nose as a symptom of relfux ,

2- acid coming up at night irritating the throat and needing to sleep a bit more proped up in the bed .

• Posted

I had a sleep study done simply because my nose was always stuffed in the mornings. I couldn't hardly breath through my nose so during the night I would breath through my mouth and didn't think to much about it. All this at the same time fighting Acid Reflux. I did raise my head up which indeed helped. But I still believed my mouth was opened a little. So I've started using the chin strap that comes with the Cpap and it seems to help alot. I'm not sure how much yet I only tried it last night but I didn't wake up with a sore throat or a stuffy nose. Just Maybe!! The only meds that have worked for me in the fight against Acid Reflux is Carafate 1gm 3X daily and one Dexilant in the morning before I eat anything. Nothing else has worked.Fight as been 6 years and just now going on Carafate & Dexilant. But I'm doing better than ever. 
    • Posted

It was because I was a "mouth breather" i was first taken to the doctor's at around 3 years old. It wasn't until nearly 50 years later I learned this is to do with extra-oesophageal reflux (which is confusingly refered to as "silent reflux" or "LPR").

Dexilant is not usually available in UK. It is too expensive and has no advantages over cheaper drugs which have been proven to be equally effective if taken in equivalent dose. (See the medicines page of the Acid section of the Down With Acid book for equivalence table and links to research.)

Similarly, in UK, you are more likely to be prescribed Gaviscon liquid (or cheaper but equivalent Peptac) instead of carafate.

• Posted

LPR's not like a headache that will go away with a couple of aspirin but a condition that needs proper management. PPIs and H2 blockers can make reflux less harmful but they won't "cure" it.

I had what I now know to have been LPR all my life (with symptoms noted, but not understood at the time, when I was 3 years old) until I had reflux reduction operation when I was 60 years old.

• Posted

Hi,

​can  ask what reactions you had to PPI, i am realy struggling to get doctors to believe i'm having what i think are side effects from Pantoprazole.

• Posted

With omeprazole, my pharynx became very sore and red, I can hardly talk. With esomeprazole, my neck/throat became tight and stiff. With pantoprazole, it's the same plus I was itching and difficulty in breathing. I'm on famotidine now. My initial dose was 40mg 2x a day. My throat/ neck also tightens but my GI reduced it to 20mg 2x a day. There's still some tightness but it's manageable.
    • Posted

thank you for your reply shugirl.

​I am at my whits end with this globus and LPR.

I went to the docs with globus, he reffered me to ent who diagnosed acid reflux, at the time i had no other symptoms other than globus.

He prescribed pantoprazole 40 mg, very quickly i developed discomfort in my stomach and throat which i can only describe as pressure.

When i mentioned this to ent, he told me the ppi wouldnt cause this and refused to change my drugs.

Been to the GP who has advised me to come off the pantoprazole for a week and then start on Lampoprazole.

The GP told me there would be no rebound acid if i came off cold turkey despite it warning not to do this in the leaflet.

4 days off and i have had some reflux, yesterday was awful but today a bit better.

Just dont know who to believe anymore but this site does give me some hope.

​I'm glad your throat tightness has become managable

• Posted

I've taken ppi's for 6 years and nothing seem to work. Only recently a new Gastro Doc put on Carafate and Dexilant. And finally for the last month I feel some relief. I was about ready to throw in the towel. Sick & Tried of being Sick all the time. Either it was my throat or my stomach. One or the other and sometimes both at the same time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.