Dry mouth blurry eyes sore cheeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

could these symptoms be ss my eyes don't feel dry just my mouth sucking sugar free mints seems to be the only thing that helps

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Could be. People with SS have anything from just 1 to multiple symptoms. A rheumatologist makes the definitive diagnosis. Sugar-free mints work very well for me too.
  • Posted

Hi Heather,

Dry eyes don't always actually feel dry! This is especially true if it's only mild dryness, which can manifest just as slightly blurred vision. Severe dryness feels as if you've got sand under your eyelids all the time, but not everyone gets it to that extent.

If you have blurred vision you need to get your eyes checked anyway, preferably by an ophthalmologist, but if you're in the UK an ophthalmic optician will also do a good basic job, including a simple test for dryness if you ask for it. This isn't diagnostic, but good enough to assess whether or not you need to see an ophthalmologist. Most UK opticians are the ophthalmic kind, authorised to do thorough testing, whereas a dispensing optician can only do sight tests and prescribe lenses. They generally advertise their category on their shopfront, but you can also go in and ask. (For those outside the UK, in continental Europe for example, I realise the category of ophthalmic optician may not exist in your country. Don't know about the US.)

Jennifer is right. Not all SS sufferers get all the symptoms. In fact, there are so many, you'd have to be very unlucky indeed to get all of them! It's called a syndrome because that's the word for a collection of signs and symptoms. We all get a different subset.

• Posted

If it is is a rheumatologist that makes diagnosis how do u get ur doc to refer you, if symptoms are mostly mouth eyes and facial, wld anything show up in bloods
  • Posted

I guess your GP needs to feel there is a need for the referral, and he could err on either of the wrong sides! If he wont you have 2 choices - find another GP or wiat for your symptoms to become more pronounced or concerning. You can certainly get your eyes checked independently to reassure you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.