Sjogren's syndrome and dental implants/tooth calcifications

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I've been reading up on it, and many sources advise against implantation for people with autoimmune conditions. It seems this makes it more likely that the body will reject the implanted titanium screw. I gather it doesn't happen immediately but can cause a problem over the years.

I smashed up my mouth quite comprehensively during a fall nearly thee weeks ago. It looks as if three of the four loosened front teeth are going to tighten up again, but my dentist and I are not sure about the fourth one (a central upper incisor).

Unfortunately, the standard test for tooth death doesn't work in my case, as the pulp cavities in all my teeth are filled with calcifications, and therefore completely insensitive to heat and cold. This was discovered by chance 25 years ago. We therefore have to wait and see. So far, the tooth - the edge of which sustained only a minor chip - hasn't changed colour, but it's still very painful and mobile.

I'm not going to agree to any attempts to stabilise the root by passing through the root canal. Two attempts at doing this in the past 25 years have resulted in dentists eventually giving up after months of trying unsuccessfully to get through the calcifications, following which the remains of the tooth had to be extracted.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sent that post before I intended!

I meant to ask whether anyone else has problems with pulpoliths or calcifications in the pulp cavities of their teeth. I've asked several dentists, including the current one, whether this might be related to SS, but they've all either said no or don't know. (To be fair, I suspect some of them, like too many GPs, don't even know what SS is!) They have all, however, told me that it's related to RA, so I'm guessing there is a connection.

• Posted

Hi lily65668, I had calcification in my teeth before loosing them over time due to bad caries, root canals. I spent over $25,000 in one year and went into debt to have a new mouth. 6 months later went for check up and had a cavity in every tooth. I cried. Anyway after having no choice but dentures I got the top one fine. The bottom wasn't going to work. I researched and found out about mini implants with a denture overlay. I didn't have any bone loss, they looked beautiful and I could eat. It cost 8 years ago $4000. The implants are still fine but the denture overlay recently broke. Had to find a dentist that did the 3m product I have. I did but the cost because its considered cosmedic even though all this was caused by a medical issue SS. I'm putting together an appeal to medical insurance. Several people have had success with. So I can't chew have 4 titanium nails sticking out of the bottom of my mouth. I hardly go out. Its so imbarrasing and can't even get proper nutrition and have had ulcerations and infections. Back to your question. My teeth were calcified and I got the 4 mini implants which screw into bone. No down time. Beveore denture overlay broke it lasted 8yrs. My husband lost job I'm on disability or would have been able to pay for. They work great.

Good luck

Kristy k

• Posted

Oh Kirsty, what a terrible time you're having! I do hope your appeal succeeds.

We can't get implants on our State insurance at all, except in rare cases of severe facial trauma, congenital abnormalities etc. so I'd have to pay the full cost. (Haven't dared look into what that might be yet!)

I've already had a dental plate for the top tooth next to the broken one for 60 years, so I have no worries about coping with a top denture for two teeth. I've been quoted the equivalent of $550 for a new plate. The insurance won't cover that either. They only reimburse dentures for back teeth, as molars are considered to be essential for nutrition. Incisors and canines are deemed to be an unnecessary cosmetic luxury! However, I'm not looking forward to the down time between extraction and replacement.

Still, I've been there recently as well. Three years ago I managed to swallow my very spiky denture, which didn't have clasps on it at that time. It was lodged in my throat, causing ulceration and scarring, for three weeks, while I was thrown out of one hospital after another as a neurotic nuisance. As it had no metal parts, it didn't show up on X-rays so no one would believe me in spite of the fact I got severely dehydrated and lost 15lbs in that time. Finally, when I was running a fever and spitting up blood, a friend took me back to one of the hospitals that had ejected me, and raised Cain. (I couldn't even talk by this time.) The offending denture was eventually removed in a procedure I wouldn't care to go through again, and I managed to get clasps fitted to it in another hospital for only $100, though it was already 35 years old! I was missing a front tooth for nearly five weeks in the end, and just got used to having to go out looking awful. I guess I can do it again if I have to.

But I might not have to. Today, for the first time in nearly three weeks, the tooth seems to be tightening up in its socket. I still can't bite into anything but it was noticeably less painful when I brushed this morning. Fingers crossed! If it tightens up I'm home and dry, as the dentist says the damage to the tooth itself - a chip and a crack - is only superficial and he can patch it up with a bit of resin.

Sorry to hear about the ulceration and infection. I know how sore that can be, as I had similar problems in the early days of SS. That only lasted six months and these days I have very few problems with dry mouth. In my case SS seems to migrate all around my body and - touch wood! - hasn't returned to my mouth for 20 years now. I hope you'll soon be feeling better and will get good news from the insurance.

• Posted

PS: Kristy - I'm sorry, just realised I called you Kirsty. Put it down to old age!
  • Posted

Sadley I have lost my molars and premolars on the lower jaw, and have recently had implants placed. So far, so good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.