Omaprazole and Constipation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone else have constipation when taking Omaprazole .if so what do you take natural or otherwise. I have Gastritis and Diverticulitis .Thanks for any advice ...Constipation increases my acid reflux ....

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Figs are great. Everything high in fibre is good. You can get more advice from a good pharmacist. All the best
  • Posted

Hi Allison, I am on that med as well and for me it seems to loosen my BM'so I guess it can affect people differently. I have Ulcerative Colitis, but I think I have CD. No evidence of it yet. This might be why I have the runs. You can take stool softener to help with this, but clear it with your doctor first.
  • Posted

Yes, I have really horrible constipation right now, and taking it. I have Miralax, Colace, and Dulcolax, and have a tea called Smooth Move that really works. I went a bit today, but not enough to feel absolute relief. I will be taking something tomorrow though, if I don't go more. Hate it, because it makes me bloat and have rib pain. Also, prune juice and raisins help. Good luck! 
    • Posted

hi debbie... have you tried papaya? it works all the time... it will work the first time you try it... take the fruit,the ripe one! It will have immediate effects smile message me for the results..i won't be embarrased by this fruit... will be waiting.
  • Posted

hi alison... am always constipated but we have fresh papaya fruits that can just be picked right from the tree..and we have market here which sells papaya all year round..however since  we transferred, I didn't have any papaya since week 1 of april..it's been a month.. so idecided to search over the net for papay tabs or same.... i found,during the search, about cardamom... try to read about this it may help you about your acid reflux.. we're going all natural.. safe for our kidneys..and less or no side effecs smile all the best alison.
  • Posted

Constipation can be a side effect of some PPIs for some people.

discuss with your doctor and maybe try lansoprazole or pantoprazole instead.

There are many PPIs which are as effective as each other in reducing acid when taken in equivalent dose but some people tolerate one more than another.

• Posted

Hi Alison,

i stopped taking omeorazole 2 months ago after hearing on the news that it is amusing dementia.  I researched the side effects online and found that it caused many of the digestive problems I was having-nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, weight loss, and I think it may have caused damage to my gall bladder and Spinchter (valve to gall bladder). And maybe my heart.  I am now researching that possibility.  My gall  bladder was removed last year and now I have a permanent, chronic disorder  to live with.  Natural remedies I use for bowel issues are chamomile tea, lemon water and mint chewing gum for the burping. Good luck. I hope you continue to search for natural remedies and stay away from the pharmaceuticals, I learned the hard way.

• Posted

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, weight loss can be side effects affecting some people from some PPIs. But there are a number of different ones. If you get these side effects from one, switching to another usually solves the problem.

The paper that indicated a link between dementia and PPIs, however, did not conclude that PPIs cause dementia, the sensationalist press did that. It was a correlation not a causation. Rsearchers found that amongst 75 year olds in Germany, those with dementia were more likely to be taking PPIs.

Gall bladder problems are related to acid hyper-secretion and reflux. I am one of many acid refluxers who had to have a cholecystectomy - but it's not because of the PPIs.

If you visit the www BarrettsWessex org uk site, you will find a page on "PPI dangers" (under the Treatment / drugs headings on the side bar - or use the site's search facility). It will describe the risks that have been reported for anaemia, hypomagnesaemia, osteoporosis, c-difficile, arythmia, chronic kidney disease, dementia etc.

The drugs are actually very safe. They have been used for over 30 years by millions of people worldwide and have been shown to have a probable chemo-protective effect - reducing the risk of developing cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.