Age doesnt give you the right to talk down

Posted , 23 users are following.

I am posting this as I am now fed up with the amount i have been talked down to and insulted on this site.

Just because Im 20 doesnt mean I do not know what im talking about, it also doesnt give members the right to insult me or treat me like a child.

Quite frankily I know feel like I cannot say something without being judged, this site is supposed to be helpful when in fact I am actually finding it a lot more upsetting.

4 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Aah , dont be upset Sarah , we are all very different people , come from different countries and have different back stories - that makes effective communication hard ( its hard enough face to face with friends and family sometimes dont you find ? ) i truly dont think anyone means to upset anyone else , we are all going through difficult times , however strong we are and that makes us vulnerable and sensitive - of course you know your own experience better than anyone else and age is irrelevant . I have found that if anyone says anything that upsets you its best just to not respond , otherwise it just escalates / gets worse . Big hug honey - you are just fine xxx
    • Posted

Thankyou. You have been very kind and helpful to me. I sometime find that this forum causes more problems than helping. Im considering leaving it tbh xx
    • Posted

DONT LEAVE !  Just ignore anything that winds you up , for whatever reason and respond to the stuff you find helpful   - another big hug , am off to bed now - night night xxx
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, 

I apologize unreservedly if I said anything to make you feel this way. I am deeply sorry as the intent of this site is indeed to support - not to insult or add stress.

I think one of the challenges of this site is that initially at least, we know little about one another and ways of expressing ourselves differ quite a bit across generations and even countries. I hope this is at the bottom of this rather than an intent to patronize as I truly beleive in the genuine intent to help.. 

I consider that I have been more sensitive pre-operation and since given the pain and uncertainlty and even despair at times and family confirms this in their own ways. Could this be contributing too?

Either way - I am truly sorry for the bad experiences you have had, It is bad enough with the medical challenges you have faced.

Wishing there was a more susbstantial way to offer support ... but sending hugs in any case, 'cause a good hug helps no matter what!

Sincerely,

Linda  

• Posted

Haha no you have never done anything to hurt me haha.

And yes hugs certainly do help 😂

• Posted

Been there a few times myself. It's always something. Some people are negative. I find most everyone here are very positive and encouraging as well as inspiring.

Lots of gentle hugs and smiles cheesygrin !

• Posted

I totally agree. Its very off putting. Especially when you were only trying to be informative.

Stay strong xxx

• Posted

Big hugs Sarah. Deep breath, chin up & don't be leaving this site. I'm 5 weeks pre-op & despite me being old enough to be your mum, I need your advice when I'm post-op xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.