Need post op nissen help

Posted , 5 users are following.

had the wrap done about 4 weeks ago and now I'm trying to decide if I should have it undone. I came out of the surgery just fine and was home the next day on clear liquids. I progressed to full liquid then to soft foods by day 6. The second day I ate soft food I was overcome with pain and nausea that resulted in dry heaving and my first trip to the er. I was worried about my new sutures coming undone. The next day I was worse and back in er. The day after I was in a different er where they finally told me my potassium was dangerously low and hooked me up. I felt better and when I went for my follow up my doc said start on clear liquids again and progress as I feel able. 6 days later I felt I was ready for soft foods again but less then 10 mins after eating a small portion I was back to dry heaving. Was back in er the next day for non stop dry heaving and diarrhea. I am back on full liquids now and scared to death to try soft foods again. My anxiety is out of control and it's taking a toll on me, my husband, and my 3 kids. I'm 26 and have lost 15lbs. My real question is should I deal with it and see what happens or get it undone now. I'd rather deal with heartburn

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Amber I feel u jumped into soft foods toooo fast....first stay on liquids til your stomach adjusts.  Then I went to smoothies nutritious smoothies...take whatever foods ie: meat potato vegetable and then puree and add chicken broth or beef to make it into a smootie but with protein and veg and potato carb .   I am now 9 wks post op and didnt start eating soft til now.....chewing has just begun, dont rush things....clear liquids to start the first wk or so, then progress to smoothies only as i did...we even made them with fish, beets, potato.   Cook everything and then put them in a blender and smooth it out with broth and drink...A cup or two at a time, otherwise the chest pain will start.  It is a slow progress but truely try this it worked for me...and I still have bouts of chest pain.  You should only be drinking about 8 ozs at a time.  Never drink while eating the nutritious meal(smoothie).  Drink all you want after getting in your nutrition.  Breakfast at a month for me was Cheerios, bluebeeries about 1 cup..  Eat several times a day ...if u read about this online u will see those symptoms u have are either too much food going in at once.  Small amounts but frequent....and I had Boost or ensure which u should be doing often as you are losing weigh fast.  I have now lost about 15 and maintaining.  Be care ful go online and get menus for Nissen and follow it.  Try it and see, it is slow but i would never consider undoing it, you need a dietitian to speak with or your own common sense but no chewing yet at least i couldnt digest it that soon and still i am cautious.  Good luck to you but it does get better if you read all the forums ...Keep in mind everyone is different and mend at different rates...dont rush     Good Luck and God Bless   Liz
  • Posted

It typically takes up to 6 weeks to begin to eat normally. However, after 4 weeks you ought to be able to eat soft foods - but you would need to choose them carefully (things like mashed potato), taking small mouthfulls, masticating carefully and swallowing carefully and slowly.

It sounds as if scar tissue still exists internally and it's possible you may have caused some inflammation by trying too much too soon.

It's normal to lose about 20lbs following the operation as your stomach feels full quicker. It will normalise.

• Posted

I have a gastro emptying study tomorrow and an endoscopy in Thursday and an esophageal test next Tuesday because the docs think something is wrong with the surgery. I've read about a lot of people having same symptoms for months after surgery and a few that had them undone because it was unbearable. That's almost where I'm at now. My anxiety is at its worst and I don't sleep. Even turned to some cbd drink to help with neasua and appetite because I have a panic attack even thinking about eating. Why did you guys wait so long to eat my doc said I was fine for soft foods after 5 days post op and says now I should be able to eat whatever I want being almost 5 weeks out.
    • Posted

Best wishes for the tests. I hope they discover and correct whatever the problem is.

Although sme people do expereince problems, they are actually quite rare as the results of this study show:

A study published in Surgical Endoscopy in 2014 reviewed the durability of Laparoscopic Fundoplication over 20 years and concluded, "Long-term results from the early experience with LF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up. However, 18 % required surgical revision surgery to maintain their results. There is a relatively high rate of daily dysphagia but 90 % of patients are happy to have had LF." (from Down With Acid)

• Posted

Hi Amber I was just wondering how you are feeling now and what were the results of the endoscopy? Are you able to eat better now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.