pain emanating from operated hip normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all:

This may be a silly question but I'm a 63 year old woman 3 1/2 weeks post op from a total hip replacement, anterior approach in the US. My pain was not very great at all until I started physical therapy exercises. I have been doing them very slowly and when I feel pain, I stop. So, in other words, I haven't overdone it with exercise.

This morning I have pain emanating from my operated hip. This has me concerned. Is it normal to have pain similar to what you had before surgery?

Also, when does the leg numbness from surgery go away? My thigh is still numb and what isn't numb is very tender and sore.

Anybody experience these things?

Thanks so much in advance.

Beverly

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi...anterior RTHR 03/15. 66 yo what your feeling is normal . My doc said all could last 3 mo - 1 yr. I still 6 weeks get occur numbess and pain and tired. Do the PT the stretching helps and walk as much as you can. You'll feel the PT 24 -48 hrs afterwards. Body has alot of healing on the inside. It creates an inflammatory process against implant so if you have pain continue to take an anti inflammatory. ..motrin,Aleve whatever you can... Good luck
    • Posted

I'm following  your progress. Pls keep posting. I'm 67, due for surgery June, USA, rthr. So same as you
  • Posted

Bev, if the pain wasn't too bad until after you started PT, then I would stop doing PT entirely for awhile, if I were you. Perhaps doing the exercises until you feel pain and then stopping IS hurting you. It won't do any harm to stop PT temporarily, but it may be doing harm if you continue. Many orthopedic surgeons don't even require it. Walking as necessary should be enough for your healing muscles at this point! Just my 2 cents...
  • Posted

Beverly,

I'm 2 weeks post op, 69 yrs old, and thought I'd be running around by now... NOT!  I still have pain at the hip (similar to pre-op), when putting weight on it, but it is abating a bit every day and I can put a little more weight on it daily.  Still a little numb and swollen at surgery site.  

• Posted

Dear Beverley,

i am now 65 but I was also 63 when I had my left hip replacement, 18 months ago. I can now do most things without pain but I can still get twinges particularly if I lift something too heavy, like my 16 month old grandson, or exercise for a bit too long. My recovery took about a year and during that time I went through different phases, presumably as different bits were healing. Be gentle and patient with yourself. Swimming and doing the physical therapy in water are really useful. Last September I went to Australia for 6 weeks to visit my son and walked miles up and down big hills. You'll get there.

Good luck.

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

I agree with previous comments - 

First of all, it is definitely not a silly question - You just had major surgery and are still early in recovery - during this healing time you might feel pains and discomfort from places you don't know you have - your body is learning to walk again and using muscles that were neglected or used wrongly -

You sound like a reasonable woman who listens to her body - keep doing that -

If you haven't seen the surgery on youtube yet, I can recommend it - not for the squeemish though but very enlightening - there are real life surgeries as well as animated ones - 

you can also visit:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

a website created by our fellow forum hippie Graham, aka Rocketman - scroll down all the way and find it under ; A layman's Guide 

We are here, so come back with any question or concern okay?

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.