Re - hip fracture

Posted , 11 users are following.

Today I met with my doctor to discuss the game plan for my surgery on Wednesday May 11th. He showed me the fracture bone of right side of top portion of the stem suggesting that he will do the following: replace the stem, and attaché a lateral temporary plate to the fracture side. Now here is the tricky part; the shell, liner and socket are in good shape. Since he is going in, should he replace the entire top components with new updated version despite they are in good shape? Or just leave them the way they are and take the risk of having another surgery down the road which potentially might take place since theese components are 19 years old. He is undecided and he want my permission to replace the healthy old top part of the prosthesis.

The question is; wouldn't be wise to replace everything with up to date version of cup, shell, and liner? Or keep them and take the risk for a near future surgery?

your thoughts will definitely help

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Beck, if he is in there anyway, i'd have him replace. Just my 2 cents. Think how you would feel if the original fails in 2 or 3 years.......
  • Posted

I would want it all to be new, and knowing that it all works well together and fits perfectly. Is your doctor really undecided? If he is asking for your permission to replace the socket, too, wouldn't that mean he was recommending the replacement? 

At any rate, he is the orthopedic surgeon, and I think he should give you a recommendation of what he thinks is the best course of action. You, of course, could choose a different course, but it would be nice to know what he thinks is best.

• Posted

Dear all,

Your replies are ver encouraging,

He is definitely pro changing the entire components, he even said " would you give me the leverage to go full?" I said yes, since I am going to be 58 on July, I probably have an excellent chance to squeeze by without undergoing another surgery.

• Posted

Beck, as you know, recovery from hip surgery is no picnic and takes a long time to fully heal. I would so much rather have one surgery than two, because of the sheer time saved in recovery and the risk of complications being cut in half that way! If it were me, and I didn't have the cup replaced now, I'd always be wondering and worrying when it was going to fail.

Let us know your final decision!

• Posted

Agree. This is my major concern. My doctor says the surgery takes three hours and recovery six weeks. We all know it is not true. I expect the surgery time is no less than five hours and recovery at lest 10 weeks.

• Posted

At least! Cut bone and stretched, dissected soft tissue has to repair itself from the cellular level on up, and that just takes a certain amount of time, no matter what. 
  • Posted

I am iwith Debbi on this too given the age of the components.

Good luck,  

• Posted

I would have it all replaced. I'm curious who made your first set though - sounds like a good product!  Best wishes whatever you decide 🙂
  • Posted

For me, I would get as much replaced as need it in one hit - I wouldn't want yet another operation in 1, 2 or 3 years time.

Graham

• Posted

Hi beck, I agree with everyone here: have the whole thing replaced.i hope the op and follow on recovery go well. Harry
  • Posted

I personally would say replace everything then you know theres no compatability issues etc must admit for my revision - eventhough i have been an orthopaedic nurse - i was happy for the surgeon to make all the decisions around operative approach , which components etc as presumed that  was his area of expertise so if thats what yours is suggesting it sounds like sensible advice - you and I are similar ages so i am also hoping mine wil do me for the duratio! 
    • Posted

I woke up this morning thinking since all components are well intact and the fracture which the doctor doesn't know why it happened causes the pain, why not just mount the lateral plate at the fracture site without changing the stem. He assured me that the stem didn't cause the fracture, instead the fracture caused the stem to become loose. I have obtained all my records in a CD, I am considering a second opinion.
    • Posted

A second opinions is always a good idea. I'd recommend that you make sure it is with someone who does revisions. Is it possible that there was loosening first and then the fracture happened because of that? Whatever the reason (and it seems that he doesn't really know the reason for the fracture, they have to go in there anyway to repair the fracture, so why not replace the hardware. It is 19 years old, after all. Someone on this forum just posted today that he/she (can't remember which) has a 13 year old replacement that has failed and needs revision. Just some stuff to think about!
    • Posted

I thought I can beat the odds and continue with my left hip beyond 19 years, it takes a whole a lot of precautions, life style adjustment, and weight watching. I was around 220 pounds in 1997 prior to my bilateral hip replacement. After surgery I kept my weigh around 177-180 lb. But what really made it so successful is the hospital for special surgery in New York which ranks # 1 or 2 nationwide. It is the same hospital I will have my surgery on 05/11,

I am also very mindful that LUCK plays a vital role as well.

I think I am convinced now to go for total change of the hardware.

• Posted

You sound so thoughtful and careful. How fortunate you are to be able to have surgery in that great hospital. With the combination of the skill of the surgeon, an excellent environment for surgery, proper care taken during recovery and a sensible, healthy lifestyle after recovery, you don't need very much luck! But, yes, you do need some! All the best with whichever way you finally decide to go.
    • Posted

Thsnk you for your positive feedback

Thank you

Beck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.