PCOS absent period for one year. show me the light :(

Posted , 2 users are following.

Any advice to shift weight, bring back periods or tell me how I can tell if and when I might ovulate. I have lost all hope.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Are you on any meds? I have pcos and i am on metformin. I have lost 20 pounds so far in weight by eating mainly fruits and veggies with lean protein and lots of water. I went through a whole year without a period as well. I was prescribed provera to bring on my period. It worked. The metformin brought back a regular cycle for a while but so far, ive missed 2 cycles. I am not so sure how to tell of you ovulate. I heard you are supposed to chart your temperature every morning and the days where you see a spike in the temperature is the days you ovulated.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello and thank you for commenting. I have not been given any meds. I was told my BMI is top high for the normal pil where you would have breaks in between. The other one you just keep taking so I will not have a period with that. They did give me Orlistat but I was not consitent with it and found it really bloated me. Also did not lose that much weight. They said I can reverse some symptoms by losing weight. I went to the gym and still found it hard so I have lost all motivation. The only time I lose a little weight is when I starve myself. Even when I was in my teens, I never had regular periods - I was lucky if I got three in a year. I was at a healthy weight then. All this just got worse when I went through a difficult time. I put it down to stress and depression. It was only until last year I asked to be checked for thyroid and PCOS and they confirmed it was PCOS. My doctor said they would only consider me for fertility if I lost weight and tried for six months to conceive. I know each body is different but I see people twice my size getting a period each month or even pregnant. I am 16 stone but tall so I do not look huge sad is it worth asking to see another doctor or go back to my original. I have not seen her for eight months? Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Natty86,

I would definitely go to another doctor because i am very overweight and have pcos and my doctor said the same thing to me that you doc said to you. She says i need to lose weight before she starts me on fertility meds but she did put me on Metformin which is helping me lose weight. I would not go to the doctor you seen eight months ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.