Just had MUA two days ago and just now found his sight! Thank God I've found it!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please forgive me if I ask 'newbie' questions, I'm brand new here and am just now finding others to talk to about FS. I am in the midst of a (so far) 2 year nightmare with shoulder pain and loss of ROM. I just need support and encouragement. I am two days post- MUA and am realizing my doctor did not prepare me at all for this recovery! I'm in terrible pain and have puffy, hot swelling all down the back of my rotator cuff. Also puffy in the armpit. Egads I was not expecting this!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good luck Sally, I had a severe fs and 2 ops before I found any relief. There is recovery, but a difficult road first. I'm 1 yr post op and sooooooo much better. My life is transformed.

I've posted details when going through it. Hope they help.

I feel for you. Take your time and do all physio when told.

Ali.

• Posted

What two operations did you have? I'm getting the sense from this site that a lot of people's MUA's are unsuccessful and they end up needing surgery. Also, how did you handle it when physio was so excruciating? Is it smart to just push thru and tough it out?
    • Posted

I had a capsular release and calcification removal with Mua, excruciating physio & hydrotherapy for 4 months, then a Mua. 3 wound sites.

I mean that you need to do everything the physio says. Mine was brilliant. If they say do it 3 times every day, then do it. Pain relief, then ice, then physio, followed by a wheat bag and tissues for tears. I sometimes felt so sorry for myself, that I missed a day of physio at home, and paid bitterly for it the following day. Pain relief is the key. You tube also has some interesting video clips. Good luck and keep moving. I never thought I'd ever raise my left arm again and guess what...I can! Long road but worthwhile.

• Posted

Hi Sally!

I just had MUA yesterday!! This is my second one as I had frozen shoulder on the left side 2 years ago.

My doctor is sending me to physical therapy every day for two weeks. After that, I will go three times per week for 4 more weeks.

For me, I was prepared for the pain since I've already been through this before. I believe you will be happy that you had the MUA once you get through the recovery time. At least that was my experience last time. I'm looking forward to getting through this round and getting my life back.

I wish you a speedy recovery ... Hang in there!!

• Posted

Did you ever have the experience of your physical therapy being too painful to do? Also how long does the pain and swelling from the actual MUA last?
    • Posted

The physical therapy is painful, but my therapist goes very slow and is gentle. They don't push too far, but do try to get as much ROM as possible. The good news (for me at least) is that this pain will be short term and has me on the road to recovery which is so much better than the pain of the FS. I realize it's likely not for everyone, but it has helped me. I don't have very much swelling, but the physical therapist is using ice to help as the inflammation continues to need to be dealt with. I am also taking an anti inflammatory medication.

I hope you feel better and get some relief soon!

• Posted

Hi Sally,

Welcome.

So sorry you also have a FS. I am a year into this, Diabetic FS (FS is a Diabetic complicaiton for us Diabetics). How are you feeling? I have not had the surgery and do not plan on it, as I have not seen much success rate with Diabetics as the scar tissue is harder to break up. Hopefully you have great success and you heal quickly.  

That Physical Therapy sure sounds pretty rough on the body, hopefully you are doing ok.

• Posted

Thank you! I feel so very new to even knowing about this condition, but am learning a lot as I have time to read these threads. I am discouraged today because I woke up this morning and the shoulder seems to have locked back up during the night! This was my first night to sleep all night since having MUA four days ago. At first I was excited that I slept so well, but then realized my shoulder is completely stuck. I feel now that I've lost all the progress I'd made! And I'm dreading my PT appointment later this afternoon.

I have one question. I see others on this site talking about surgery. What exactly is the surgery for FS?

• Posted

Oh man, I hope your shoulder is not locked.. OUCH! (don't harm yourself at Physical therapy today. Listen to your body.)

There are two surgeries that I am aware of for our FS condition.

-the one you had, Minipulation under Anesthesia.

-or Keyhole surgery, where they go in with a small incision laparoscopically and cut the scar tissue. (My understanding is that they would preform both surgeries, one right after the other on Diabetics, such as myself or anyone with extremely deep FS adhesions.

• Posted

Thank you for answering. I REALLY appreciate this site. It helps so much to be able to connect with others in the same situation! My PT went well yesterday and he was able to get some of my ROM back. He is very encouraging and helps to keep me positive. Thanks for the explanation about surgery. I went into this MUA knowing basically nothing, and my surgeon is not very informative!
  • Posted

Sally, I hope your PT was able to help you to become unstuck ... Mine has been really painful this week coming off the MUA on Tuesday...especially when I wake up in the mornings. The PT gets it loosened up and feeling better but doesn't last long before stiffening up again. I have to make sure I'm doing all the home exercises too. Today the PT told me that the worst of the pain from MUA will subside in about two weeks. My therapy will last for 6 weeks.

I do hope you are doing better today!!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. My PT appt yesterday was not as bad as I was expecting. My therapist seems to really know what he's doing and I am realizing I can trust him. He encouraged me that I'd not lost as much ROM as it seemed, and that this whole thing takes time! I agree with what you say about PT helping to loosen things up, but then the shoulder doesn't stay that way! I am so glad I've found this site. The info is so helpful and the people are kind! Thanks for answering my question about how long the MUA discomfort lasts. smile
  • Posted

So happy to hear you are doing better! I woke up with quite a bit of pain this morning, I did a few off exercises while still in bed, just to get things loosened up enough to get up and try to go about my day. I've been more sore today than yesterday. My PT said it would be very important to push myself this weekend since I can't get PT again until Monday ... So I'm getting ready to do all my exercises again now and hopefully that will help me rest tonight.

I hope you continue to improve and please do keep me posted on your progress! I totally agree with you about how much it helps to have someone to talk to; someone who truly understands ... Hang in there my friend!! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.