diabetes lows and highs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a type 2 diabetic since 2000. I also have schizophrenia and hypothyroid. A few years back my sleep got disturbed and my diabetes was going out of control. I was and am still on tablets metformin, plioglitazone and gliclazide

Then a few years back my sleep started to improve and now it is very good. As my sleep improved my diabetes also improved and I was about to reduce my diabetes medication on medical advise but then I lost my appetite. As I lost my appetite my glucose reading empty stomach started to rise from 5 earlier to 6 -7. Two hours after dinner my diabetes gets very low as I take medicines after dinner. It gets low to 5. As a result my diabetes is lower after dinner compared to day time when I am eating light

Has anybody else had similar experience where their diabetes is lower post dinner as compared to empty stomach due to medicines. I am currently not wanting to reduce my diabetes medication. Can someone explain this why sometimes diabetes is lower post dinner compared to when you have eaten light. Overall my diabetes would not be classed as out of control.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vipan, 

I'm working with my mom to control her diabetes. We have been testing before meals, and prior to bed per doctors orders, at this point, as she was just diagnosed. So I don't really have an answer to your question from experience.

On another note, my mother has hypothyroidism, and mental illness in addition to the diabetes. Her thyroid disease went untreated for decades and I've long suspected this was related or contributed to the mental illness. We suspect the diabetes was caused by her psyche med, zyprexa. She is now on Latuda.

Since I'm new to helping my mom regulate her blood sugar, we're still getting the meds right, so that's affecting things a bit. Now that I'm regulating her diet, it's become pretty clear that at meals when she eats meat, her blood sugar is much lower than after meals when she eats yogurt or cheese for her protein.

Also, since she's been converting from injectable insulting to the metformin, I suspect, there's a cumulative effect of the metformin, where the longer you're on it, it sort of build up in the system and works better.  

Also so on the list to check, is her thyroid medication because often, they are ineffective for people with severe thyroid disease when meds are at 'normal' blood levels due to antibody production, high T3, etc. I don't think my mother's thyroid meds have ever been right and wonder how much this contributed to the other problems and whether the psychosis will decrease with proper thyroid meds. She was diagnosed schizophrenic decades ago, but that was a catch all diagnosis back then, I don't know her psyche diagnosis now.

She was taking melatonin to help her sleep, but it made her all groggy during the day. I stayed in the room with her, to find that although, she thought she wasn't sleeping, she was asleep most of the night, but either had a lot of movement, or just woke up feeling unrested, and would say she hadn't slept well. The melatonin made her sleep extremely restless, and she tossed and turned all night. Clearly, no more melatonin...

interesting that hat you make a connection between sleep and blood sugar levels. I'll watch that in my mom.

I'd be interested in any comments or recommendations you have on this combination of illnesses.

• Posted

Catherine

One thing that has helped me always is hope

I am an optimist and have held a good job for 25 years

The hope that I will do well in job has helped me fight all my illnesses

In my state of optimism I improved my sleep

Hope this information helps you

• Posted

Thanks Vipan, you make a good point. I've been trying to work with my mom  to help her stay optimistic. It is likely she is also suffering from depression, which is understandable under the circumstances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.