Pains running down leg 13 days post Hip replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi had right hip replacement 22/4/16. Doing ok but having problems with pain in operated leg - pain starts at hip but also have aches in thigh  and lower leg (back and front of leg,  I can cope with these during the day but they disturb my sleep - find it difficult to go to sleep and pain wakes me up and can't go back to sleep.  Am on regular oxycodene with extra doses for break through pain but  it doesn't seem to get rid of these aches.  Hot water bottle helps a bit

any advice? Or has anyone else had  these

thanks

Karen

Karen

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So how much of the pain med are you taking, and how often? Sounds like you are undermedicated. Lots and lots of icing and elevating and rest can help, in addition to taking the proper dosage around the clock.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

​I've just had my RTHR yesterday and they sound very similar to what I am experiencing.  I would think its down to the trauma of the surgery and also your body realigning itself.  I assume your physio gave you exercises to do?

I hope it settles down for you.

David.

• Posted

This is normal - I'm at 17 weeks, and still get odd pains, like being stabbed by a needle at the bottom of my scar, aching when I sit too long, and thigh pains when I walk causing the penguin (Trendellenburg gait) walk.

I have come to the conclusion that this may never be pain free, but it's an acceptable level of pain, unlike the terrible 'bolt of lightning' down my leg from the old OA which stopped me riding my motorcycle.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

As others have noted, this is all par for the course. But do follow-up with AnnieK's advice. 

The operation really takes a lot out of us (emotionally and physically) and there is a fair amount of nerve pain as a well as backlash from muscles and other connective tissues that have been 'traumatized' by the operation.

You might ask your PT about exercises for the hamstrings and IT band as it sounds as if these might be contributing to your pain - they often tighten up pretty badly due to lmited activity before and post operation. I cannot overstate how much doing my exercises regularly (at least 2x daily) helped. Many can be done in bed - so real reason for not doing them ...  :-))) As for sleeping - there are dozens of posts about this ... exercise, using music to distract you, elevating and icing the leg (10 min on, 20 off), and using this forum to distract you and get advice as there is usually someone on-line. It was truly the most challenging part of the whole journey for me so far. But it gets easier as the connective tissues start to settle and reconnect.

Don't get too discouraged - the OA pain is gone (hopefully) and the rest is usually recovery pain that eases. It is harder at the beginning because the everything is badly irritated and swollen and we spend too much time inactive with little to distract us, so we second guess what we have done.

I'm 12 weeks tomorrow  - walking distances again, no longer two-stepping on the stair; don't need help to put on socks; being productive (housework, gardening (albeit fairly limited) and going to concerts (I do bring my cane). All this - while I prepare for hip replacement #2 in the late summer. I do not regret this decision.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Karen I am seven weeks post op from right total hip replacement and yes have had a lot of pain in upper thigh front and back and down my leg. It's due to what they do during surgery . It dies get better with time just wanted you to know your not alone they put a very tight turnique on your upper leg during surgery so all that has to start having feeling back in it. Are you getting any PT ? It's hard and makes pain worse at first but I am walking good just still under precautions and in pain but at least I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel finally. When I feel frustrated and still weepy at times I remember the day I got home from surgery and how little I could do compared to now and I know I am getting there it's just a long haul hang in there and keep in touch any questions let me know I am here and know what your going through.
  • Posted

Hi Linda

Yeah as well as taking oxy l take tramadol every 4 hrs and co codsmol. Make sure u are taking enough pain meds as if you are still getting as much oain you must need more pain meds oxy itself just won't do it. I was rekeased on three pain killers and was only told to take oxy if pain was really bad. But l have a routine of taking my other pain meds every 4hrs.

I think this is your issue l would try more oain meds. I am 9 weeks post op and still meed my painkillers although after ll do l feel great..

In reading everyone else's responce l think l might be right. I have had 2 hips replacements since december and l have painfree weeks and then l have bad weeks.

Good luck

Laura xx

• Posted

Hi karen, 

warm welcome to this friendly forum of hippies at all stages of recovery, some pre-up and some still on the fence.

we have all been there - I agree with all posts - 

you are early days in recovery from major surgery  where your leg has been forcefully manipulated and so much healing needs to take place -

my shins, knees and even ankles were hurting when I started to walk - 

be gentle with yourself - one step one day at a time and all that -

and come back here if you have any questions or concerns, okay ?

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.