I've got a date....August 1st!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My hubby and I had a consultation with my doctor today and set the date for my bilateral THR (anterior method).  It was really nice for my husband to meet my new doctor.  He liked him so much he's thinking of switching to him for his knee replacement later this year. I wonder if we can get a volume discount?!? 😂

I'm so happy to have a date!  Now I can really prepare both physically and emotionally. 😀

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What great news - I hope you will have time to celebrate properly this weekend. 

There is so much good advice on this site and Graham's and lot so people will chime in. It is well worth reading Graham's site - he has organized it so well compiling summaries drawn form his and other experiences along the way.

The emotional side of all of this is harder to prepare for - even with the experience of so many operations gone before as our individual circumstances are unique to some degree and our ability to absorb pain and uncertainty and unexpecteds is also different and ... different on different days. All this to say, The operation is actually the easiest part in my opinion. The decision to go ahead is big and the inevitable steps backwards in recovery can really test your patience and your trust that all will turn out well. But for most it goes well and it seems as if recovery when your surgeon uses the anterior approach has really good and rapid results.

The constancy of my circle of friends, forethought about activities that I enjoyed doing and were feasible (w limited concentration and and tolerance for sitting) helped and a chart to plot progress with exercises and milestones helped keep me motivated through the journey. Also the most excellent advice from a forum contriibutors to haul out my earplugs and favourite music, really helped as sleepless nights were a big challenge.

So make sure that your circle knows what you are going through and ask them for specific help and company and assemble things/activities that can help you relax or distract you.

Anyway - congratulations and good luck - I look forward to hearing from you in future.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  You are absolutely right about the emotional aspect.  We've had experience with surgeries before but this will definitely be my biggest one yet.  Love the idea about keeping a chart - I'm going to do that for sure.  Once I recover from my surgery, my hubby will be getting a knee replacement, so it will be back-to-back recoveries for us.  Thanks again, I'm so glad I found this site!  Now to visit Graham's site again 🙂
  • Posted

Hi that's great you have a date, such a relief to know it will be sorted out.

I too am trying to prepare for my bilateral hips op early June but my walking has deteriorated so much it's hard to keep going although I am still managing to work!  This site is very helpful but let me know any tips you have. Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz.  June will be here before you know it!  I know walking is difficult if not impossible at times.  Are you doing any other exercises to prepare?  I've been told to work on my outer hips and thigh muscles, and of course my upper body.  With bilateral, we'll be using a walker and/or crutches a bit longer.  Meanwhile I've started nesting  and have been cleaning out closets and stocking up on essentials.  Did you or are you taking a prep class?  I'm actually looking forward to mine 😄
  • Posted

Hi TDubb I am in the uK and they don't do a hip class here but I had pre assessment and have had all my furniture that I will sit on raised and got the raised toilet seats.  As to exercises I find I have little energy left after working but until recently I was cycling to and from work daily so hopefully that will have built up my muscles a bit.  I am looking forward to just 'getting his on with it' now and am counting the days.  Just hope the doctors don't go on strike again as that would mean it may be cancelled but they are in talks now so hopefully all will be well.  Keep in touch, it's good to meet others going through this.  Regards Liz
  • Posted

So glad you have a surgeon that you and your husband really like - so important for this massive operation.

Volume discount should certainly apply for you both.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Update - my new date is June 13th!  Yikes, that will come up fast.  So much to do, so little time.  But less time to worry smile
  • Posted

June 13th - what a great date to have! It won't mean anythign to you, but it is a very good date in my family - so I am 'adopting' you into the family so you can benefit from its good karma and luck. And it is soon enough so that you won't go crazzzyyyy waiting for the operation.

Good luck with it all. You will soon be an offical hipppie and sending us progress reports. 

with warm hugs.

Linda

• Posted

Aw thanks Linda!  Here I was thinking the only thing worse than Friday the 13th was Monday the 13th. But now knowing it is a special date and getting to benefit from the family's good luck I feel much better 😀. 

I chose this date because my surgeon only operates on Mondays and we will be celebrating our youngest daughter's 21st birthday that weekend.  I figured this will help keep my mind off things and have a great time with family before the big day.

Thanks again for making me smile, I've always wanted a sister!! 😁

Theresa

• Posted

Welcome to the family sis! And  - glad I made you smile. We really need a sense of humour to ride out the highs and lows of this journey.

Good planning to distract yourself with a good party. Tell your daughter she has to plan a party for your hippie graduation. :-))))

Don't get too caught up in some of the anomalies on this forum. There ARE some sad and frustrating stories but THRs (lateral, anterior or posterior) have been done tens of thousands of times and are overwhelmingly successful. 

Take care 'sis'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.